Menu

Picture resolution/printing

kilo90

We had a photo session on the beach this summer and part of the "deal" was we got images of all the photos in low-res which would print up to 5x7 well. I have had 4x6's and 5x7's printed with less than stellar results. I have gone to the 2 top rated photo shops in the city.  My graphic design brother-in-law confirmed that based on the fact the resolution is  3600px x 2400px at 300dpi (the example I sent him), that they should make a good 5x7.  I don't expect them to be top quality but I am disappointed with how grainy they look. Any chance that they are being downgraded when I upload them to the store for printing? Would loading them to a thumb drive and taking them in help? Is that a really dumb question?!  :huh: I love the pictures and would like some good smaller copies. We have already paid a lot of $$ for canvases.   

Thanks for any opinions. 

I'm not sure I understand the "low-res" images you got...so please forgive me if I completely miss the mark here.  

It is *possible* that this is what happened:

Your photographer took pictures in RAW format (meaning every pixel is recorded) but when she transferred them to JPG (which is one of a couple of formats people use for printing) she made the setting for compression too high...so a lot of pixels were lost.  THEN it is still possible that when you took it to the printer's, they compressed the already compressed files and made it even worse.  It's sort of like watching high-def programming on a low-def TV.  

If your photographer is willing for you to have images to print on your own, you should ask him/her for the RAW files and have a pro do high-res JPG compression OR ask the photographer for 100% resolution (which is still some compression but not as much) when he/she converts the RAW to JPG.  

Then, when you take it to the place you go for printing, ask them NOT to compress the files any further....that they are already in JPG.  

If this helps, then yay!  And if I missed the boat, I am sorry.  Your brother-in-law is correct that the pixel number should be adequate...I think it might have to do with how much they were compressed and how many times.  Each compression is a loss of information...

Unfortunately once you edit a RAW image it can't be saved in RAW....psd...jpg....even a Tiff...but not RAW.  Understandably, most photographers won't give out unedited RAW, straight out of the camera images and even if they would they would still need to be in jpg for most printers.

3600x2400 at 300dpi should be more than large enough to print a good quality 5x7.

Here is a helpful chart for reference...

http://devblog.befunky.com/resize-photos/

Thank you for your thoughts.  I don't think I would want the RAW photos as I know she edited out a couple beach-combers for us. I can buy the high res images but for $1300,  I'll have to pass. Thank you for the website, JennSnow. Maybe I'll just take them in via a thumb drive and see if that helps any.

Thanks, again!