Menu

History recommendations

My dd(8th) is reading through American History (Human Odyssey) and watching documentaries along with taking a British Literature and Composition class this year.  Next year I would like her to take American Literature and Composition but I am not sure what to do for history.  I would like her history studies to match her literature since I couldn't this year.  Would AP US Government, US History or Human Geography be a good substitute for American history? I don't know that I would have her take the AP exam but would want her to use the materials.  Thoughts? 

Edited by Jewels

Is Human Geography a suitable HS "History" credit or would it be better to go with something more traditional such as US History?  The state university my dd plans on attending wants three high school history credits however she most likely will dual enroll at the community college for 11th &12th.

If you were in a traditional high school they would count "Human Geography" under the History sequence and some states require this for graduation. American grads need U.S. History, so include that in your overall plan. I would not substitute Geography for U.S. History, either from a state requirement or college admission pov.

• Like 1

Yes, U.S. Government could be a better fit. I was thinking I could use the resources and syllabus for the AP course however I don't think I would have her take the test. Can you recommend other U.S. Government curriculum? Thank you.

Oak Meadow has a good textbook based course that uses glencoe. I would recommend only getting the syllabus from their site and looking for the text used.

Another is Thinkwell. They have a video lecture based course that has all the material online. They have both a regular and AP preparatory option. 

• Like 1