Menu

John Oliver on multi level marketing

pinkmint

That was one totally funny video.  I loved the lines about the double black diamonds.

I'm not an MLM person, but I appreciate some of those companies.  I was pretty sorry that Silpada went out of business earlier this year.  I used to like CAbI before I got to big for it.  Pampered Chef, Amway, and Tupperware make good quality products that I have enjoyed a lot.  

I have seen friends do MLM in a respectful way that really featured the products rather than the 'opportunity'.  I think MLMs can be a low budget way of learning how to have a small business, and whether you're suited to it.  And then you get to decide whether to do something bigger or more original or whatever, or whether you'd far rather be an employee.  I think that's fine.

What I'm sorry about is the people who develop a Really Big Dream based on their MLM rah rah folks, and then get crazed enough to drive away all their friends, and then get let down--very FAR down--when they can't make their fortunes this way.  I've seen that, too.

But generally MLMs don't bother me, because I don't mind saying no thank you.  

• Like 1