Menu

Spelling Challenges (Cross Posted)

My dd9 (4th grade) can read on grade level but cannot spell. We have tried several different spelling programs (none of which worked for her) and finally settled on Apples and Pears a year ago. We are taking it very very slow and often have to go back and repeat the last 10 lessons. She is improving slowly, but she is very far behind. I would say she spells on a 1st-2nd grade level. She has also recently become aware that she is behind her peers and I am worried about her self confidence. 

So, is there anything else I can add or be doing to help her skills improve? If we are making progress, do I really need to be panicking, or can I just continue on our path? I was anxious, but not panicked before she became aware of her ability compared to her peers, but because she is making progress I was ok with it. Now that she mentioned that she is behind her friends (she thinks it is because she is homeschooled so that is great! lol) I am feeling very panicky and wondering if I need to add something else. And how can I explain to her that people learn at different speeds? I have to admit that I am also afraid of her teachers outside the home judging our homeschooling on her spelling ability. 

Thank you for any advice and insight!

You might ask her if she wants to work more on spelling.  If she's aware that her peers are at a higher level than she is, she might be motivated to spend more time on it. Then she might move through the book faster.  Or she might not.

As far as explaining that everyone learns differently, have you tried the Animal School Fable by Rev. Dr. Devorah Greenstein?  It's a great one about everyone having different strengths.  Here's a link:

http://www.uua.org/sites/live-new.uua.org/files/documents/greensteindevorah/animal_school.pdf

What a tough spot!