Menu

Singapore Bar pictures question please

I guess I'm not really understanding your question. I flipped through Singapore's Challenging Word Problems level 4, as far as I can tell the bars are always segmented, whether there is one or more than one. The difference between when one bar was used or more than one depended on the nature of the question; if it involved some form of comparison, like kid A vs kid B, or box A at one point and box A at a later point, there was more than one; if it involved analyzing one specific item at a single point in time, like a volume question, there was only one bar.

Maybe if you could point to an example of each that would help?

sorry I wasn't more helpful...

Are you just looking ahead and trying to figure out how to explain it, or are you actually stuck on a specific problem? If you are working along with your child I don't think you'll have any trouble...the books explain very well. If you have a specific problem in mind, please post it and we'll walk you through it!

Ria

I can understand all the bar grams I see in the textbook, but how I explain which type (multiple bars separated vs 1 bar bar divided). Would someone mind explaining this to me please. Thanks.

I think what you *may* be looking to understand is: With multiple bars, this works well when you have problems where A has twice of B, C has twice of B, that sort of thing. Where you might use 1 bar divided is if you are determining something like 2/5 of the students are girls and there are 300 boys. You could have a single bar divided into five. It really just depends on what you are trying to set up. The more you work with bars, the easier it is to figure out how to set up a problem that works for you or your child to figure out the answer.