Menu

Should DD contact the college dept directly (re: transfer admission)?

Pegasus

So, DD applied for admission as a transfer student when the application opened in August.  The website stated that the admission decision could be expected in 2 to 3 weeks. It's now been 8 weeks. 

DD emailed the transfer coordinator to confirm that the admission package was complete and that they didn't need anything else from her.  She also asked when she could expect a decision.  Coordinator responded promptly that they had everything they needed and that, since she is applying to a competitive major, some departments are slow in getting the decision to the admissions office.

Timing is important because there are only two transfer orientation sessions scheduled (one in late November and the other not until just before classes start in January). Transfer students can only register for classes at these orientation sessions.  If DD is to have any chance of getting into any of the major courses she needs the first semester, she needs to be at the November orientation. She can't register for the orientation until she is admitted and the sessions have been known to fill up.

So, now I'm wondering if there is anything to be gained by having DD contact the major department directly. . .and I'm not sure quite how that inquiry should be worded. I doubt this would go over very well:  "Are you sitting on my admission application? Can you please evaluate it post-haste and provide the final admit decision already?"

Under these circumstances, she should definitely contact the department.

She should explain the situation with the orientation/class selection and ask whether the department needed any additional information from her to make the decision ;)

That sounds less confrontational but gets the same point across.

• Like 2

I concur with regentrude. I would have your daughter contact the department directly. She could do it via email to insure careful wording and tone.

I don't think confirming that they have her application, asking if they need any more information or explaining that you would like to attend the November orientation for spring 2017 admission would be offensive or pushy.  You might even ask if they know when you can expect a decision.

Consider that it's possible her application is in the same stack as those of students who are applying for Fall 2017 admissions.  Contacting the department would clear up that misunderstanding quickly.

Debb S.

• Like 1