Menu

Grammar mechanics when using Analytical Grammar

ByGrace3

We just started AG this year with my 6th grader. She is enjoying it, and I love the fact that in only 3 more weeks she will only have grammar reinforcement for the rest of the year. I am planning to have dd do the 3 seasons in 3 years, however, the mechanics section is not until last- so 8th grade. We have done some mechanics work through copywork and she did 3.5 levels of FLL, but hasn't had a lot of "mechanics." I hesitate to wait until 8th grade to cover this. Ds will do Junior AG next year and it has a mechanics book to go along with it. Do I have dd go through that portion with him? Am I missing something? Something else quick and painless to get this accomplished?

Hi, In the past- I have used AG with my oldest child. We started with the Jr. Mechanics book. For us, doing the Jr. book in 6th and then the regular AG in 7th and 8th was good. It was enough review to be helpful without being redundant. The AG does go deeper than the Jr. AG mechanics. If your child needs review or clarification of those past punctuation rules, now is the year to work on it. I would not wait until 8th grade, unless you will teach specific review concepts as issues come up in her writing.

If you were to do the Jr. AG Mechanics with her this year after Christmas, it would review the grammar you have already covered and give her a foundation for the more detailed grammar she will get to in 8th grade. IMO, I would do something to review mechanics. Robin Finley's Jr. Mechanics makes all those rules from elementary years actually make sense because good punctuation is necessary for clear communication.  If you already have or will buy the teacher book for this, it would be an economical way to teach it.  Sometimes, Homeschool Freebies email newsletters has Jr. AG books downloads for free in an e-version.

Other ideas for options: Evan Moor Daily Grammar review series in the 5th or 6th grade level, Critical Thinking Company's Language Mechanic is also good - but it is more expensive than an AG Mechanics and not as clear. I am using the Lang Mechanic with my 5th grader right now to get her ready for the AG mechanic for next year or possibly next semester. We already did the other Jr AG book last year. The Barrons publishing company also has some review guides for various subjects. Theirs is titled Painless Grammar. It is funny.

My oldest, now in 10th grade - did well with the Jr. AG Mechanic because it  helped her to learn to a much deeper level all the punctuation rules from the First Lang Lessons series. I did not do the other Jr. AG book with her.  She went on to use the AG on a 2 year cycle for 7th and 8th. I am thankful for a solid program.

Edited by Pistachio mom

Hi, In the past- I have used AG with my oldest child. We started with the Jr. Mechanics book. For us, doing the Jr. book in 6th and then the regular AG in 7th and 8th was good. It was enough review to be helpful without being redundant. The AG does go deeper than the Jr. AG mechanics. If your child needs review or clarification of those past punctuation rules, now is the year to work on it. I would not wait until 8th grade, unless you will teach specific review concepts as issues come up in her writing.

If you were to do the Jr. AG Mechanics with her this year after Christmas, it would review the grammar you have already covered and give her a foundation for the more detailed grammar she will get to in 8th grade. IMO, I would do something to review mechanics. Robin Finley's Jr. Mechanics makes all those rules from elementary years actually make sense because good punctuation is necessary for clear communication. If you already have or will buy the teacher book for this, it would be an economical way to teach it. Sometimes, Homeschool Freebies email newsletters has Jr. AG books downloads for free in an e-version.

Other ideas for options: Evan Moor Daily Grammar review series in the 5th or 6th grade level, Critical Thinking Company's Language Mechanic is also good - but it is more expensive than an AG Mechanics and not as clear. I am using the Lang Mechanic with my 5th grader right now to get her ready for the AG mechanic for next year or possibly next semester. We already did the other Jr AG book last year. The Barrons publishing company also has some review guides for various subjects. Theirs is titled Painless Grammar. It is funny.

My oldest, now in 10th grade - did well with the Jr. AG Mechanic because it helped her to learn to a much deeper level all the punctuation rules from the First Lang Lessons series. I did not do the other Jr. AG book with her. She went on to use the AG on a 2 year cycle for 7th and 8th. I am thankful for a solid program.

Thanks! I do plan to purchase the Jr AG teachers guide, and I think I already got a free Ebook of Jr AG student book. If I plan to do AG in 3 seasons, would it matter when I did the Jr mechanics book? I would like to teach it to dd and Ds together. So should I teach it this spring with both (dd having already completed AG season 1 but Ds not having started Jr AG yet) or next spring (after dd has had 2 seasons of AG and Ds has had the first JR AG book)?

If it were my family, I suggest:  Since your daughter is 6th grade, I would plan to go through it this spring - with both of them. Then when you hit the same content with her (on a deeper level) in 8th grade she will already have a foundation. Your son will be fine to go through the Mechanics book before the the regular Jr. AG book. They are not dependent on each other. Whether you do all of the exercises or only parts of the units you will have to decide. You might even choose for your daughter to do just 1 or 2 of the exercises - rather than all three.  Then the test. Or you might want her to demonstrate understanding by applying the concepts in a composition. But the extra mechanics study will make writing easier for both of them. 

I hope things go well for you. 

• Like 1

If it were my family, I suggest: Since your daughter is 6th grade, I would plan to go through it this spring - with both of them. Then when you hit the same content with her (on a deeper level) in 8th grade she will already have a foundation. Your son will be fine to go through the Mechanics book before the the regular Jr. AG book. They are not dependent on each other. Whether you do all of the exercises or only parts of the units you will have to decide. You might even choose for your daughter to do just 1 or 2 of the exercises - rather than all three. Then the test. Or you might want her to demonstrate understanding by applying the concepts in a composition. But the extra mechanics study will make writing easier for both of them.

I hope things go well for you.

Wonderful! Thank you!