Menu

Changing instruments

TCoppock

My DS, after much begging, was placed into flute lessons last year. After only a month he wanted to switch instruments. I did not allow him to switch at the time and made him complete an entire year of lessons. During the year, it was power struggle to get him to practice. He did not improve much over the year and was only on page two of his lesson book when all was said and done. Now he has completed the year he still wants to switch instruments. I would really like him to learn an instrument but am afraid that he is going to give up like last time before he has a chance to improve. At what point do you allow for your child to change instruments? Should I treat the instrument as I would any other curriculum and just toss it if it doesn't click for my DS or is it something that will grow on him?

but also wanted to play the clarinet too. He had also been playing the piano since age 6 and continued with that as well. He switched to clarinet and played that along with piano in grades 6-8. He's since dropped clarinet because there isn't time to do 2 instruments and everything else.

My younger ds plays the piano and guitar.

I think it's a good opportunity to try different instruments when dc are young IF you can afford it. Most musicians I know can play several instruments.

I don't know how old your son is, but you might want to ask why he wants to switch and if he is really serious about learning any instrument -- has he really thought this out?

If it seems he has thought it out and is committed to something else, I would like him switch.

I started with clarinet in 6th grade. I wanted to switch to brass 2 years later, but my parents wouldn't let me since they had already bought a clarinet. I went on to be an instrumental music major in college and had the opportunity to play a number of brass instruments in different groups. I still like to play in brass ensembles at church when I have the chance, but I haven't touched a clarinet in a number of years. :)

Hope everything works out well for your son. Take care.

Suzanne