Menu

If you have used Wayfarers

jenniferp8

How many kids and what ages are you teaching and how long did your Wayfarers day last? Did you add in any extras?    I really like ELTL already,  I really want to do Charlotte Mason style and be able teach all my kids at once but hesitate at a formal plan because if I get off or can't fit it all in, I stress myself out. :)

I'm using it with 3 kids (plus a toddler  :willy_nilly: ). I find it very easy to fit in. I don't do EVERYTHING. You're not supposed to. It's a buffet. But at the beginning of the year, I chose what parts I'd do, and I highlighted the books I needed for those and highlighted what we were doing each day in the weekly plans. I also entered stuff in Homeschool Planet, because I like to be redundant. :lol: But you don't have to do that. ;)

I find that Wayfarers doesn't take that much time. Here's the parts we're doing and how we do them:

Bible - I read aloud, or sometimes they take turns reading aloud to each other

LA - We're using 3 levels of ELTL (2, 3, and 5)

Math - Younger two kids are using Singapore, older is using AoPS

Geography - Read aloud and mapping (I turn them loose on Google Maps and let them label country names on the printed map from Wayfarers)

History - Younger two are doing grammar stage spine and core reading (one book at a time - I worked out which ones to do when, because I'm taking from each path but only doing one at a time), Older is doing Dialectic spine and core reading path 1. The core reading is done by the kids themselves. I read the grammar level spine aloud. My dialectic kid reads his spine on his own.

Narration - We do these as assigned, though the group projects have not panned out, and they end up doing them on their own.  :p

Other - Dialectic kid is doing Art of Argument, which he does with me.

Literature - included in ELTL.

Science - Younger two are doing the spine (Quark Chronicles) and core reading path 2. Older decided to stick with Apologia General Science, though I gave him the option of doing Wayfarers dialectic science.

Art - Younger two are doing I Can Do All Things, older is doing Feed My Sheep.

Suggested read aloud - We are doing these mostly by audio book from the library now (yay Overdrive!).

Note that those things are not all every day. History is 3x/week, science is 2x/week, art is 2x/week, logic is 2x/week, suggested read-aloud is 2x/week, mapping is 2x/week, geography read aloud is 5x/week, ELTL is 3x/week (or 4-5x if you do dictation on Tuesday/Thursday, which we do), narration is 5x/week, math is 5x/week, Bible reading is 5x/week.

It probably takes us about 2 hours to do all of the Wayfarers stuff, including read alouds, each day. Then we just have math and English. So it's really not bad at all. My kids CAN be done by lunch if they don't piddle around. Of course, usually they do piddle around and we're done by dinner. ;) Also, with the toddler, I need to do read alouds in the afternoon during her nap. She shrieks randomly during read alouds otherwise.  :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...