Menu

Xposting~ Recomendations for Universal European converter/adapter

Dina in Oklahoma

Hi Dina,

What electronics will your daughter be using in Spain? If she is just charging a laptop or phone, then she just needs a US/European adaptor. In other words something that is just allowing her to plug her device into the wall but that doesn't change the electrical current. Adapters are cheap and available online on Amazon or at a big store like Target or Walmart.

The voltage in Europe is different: 220 vs 110 in the US. Other electronics that are not dual voltage will just fry up if you plug them into the wall. Some things like camera chargers are dual voltage - read the small print on the label and see if you can see 110-240v - that's your indication that it's safe to plug into the wall in Europe. I also have a dual voltage curling iron that someone gave me.

Other things like hair dryers would need a converter in order to convert the electricity and make it safe to use. You should check the wattage of your appliance and use a converter that goes up to the wattage you need. We used to buy them in Radio Shack many moons ago but Amazon or a big electronics store would have them. Also AAA shops have them and can be very helpful.

I hope your daughter has a fun trip. Just fyi adaptors are probably readily available in Spain, too, in case she forgets/loses hers while there.