Menu

AP Physics 1 discussion

this was buried in the AP tweets thread:

read first

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/613645-ap-score-distribution-tweets-have-begun/?do=findComment&comment=7057131

If you follow this guy's blog:

http://jacobsphysics.blogspot.com/

He certainly advocates the newer AP algebra based Physics courses.

I agree that too many students were probably just learning to bang out solutions on their calculators instead of the real concepts.

My DS (rising junior) will be taking AP Physics 1 next year but probably not the exam since there is a little upside for a future STEM major.

If schools are using this for their Honors Physics then these should be the top students throwing average ninth graders at this class would be suicidal.

• Like 1

Our experience is that schools dont want to bar average students who want to work hard from the course. They will schedule an additional class period with a certified math or science teacher as support. Or they wont offer, and just do the one size fits all Regents level followed by DE...which is a waste of time for top students.

The exam itself is good for an introduction to college level exams without the pressure of earning a grade, if the teacher has not succeeded in making the course exam difficulty that level.

If a student can not handle the easy math required in AP Physics 1 they do NOT belong in the course. That being said probably half of the high school Physics teachers are incompatible of teaching this class correctly.  It needs to be hands-on and lab focused.

We're skipping AP Physics 1 for my oldest two.  Intstead, they will have an Honors-level Physics course plus AP Physics C.  I asked here, and was informed that that would be too much Physics covering the exact same material 3x.  I'm not sure about Pokeman, yet.  University Physics isn't required in either of his areas of interest.  So, he may be my first child to do AP Physics 1 (and probably 2).