Menu

Jump to Singapore or continue with RightStart?..

Mary in GA

Looking ahead. I have used SM with 2 other dc. With my youngest dd I decided I wanted to try something a little more scripted and a bit different for K. Sometimes mom needs a change! We're about half way through RS A, and dd really likes it. Now I'm uncertain about whether to continue to B, or move to SM since I **really know it**. What are the other levels of RS like? One thing I love about SM is that it flows in such a logical order. How does SM compare to RS in terms of scope? Should I try to use both, or would that be too much for me and/or dd? I didn't use anything with SM until 6th grade, and that is just give dc exposure to topics that appear on standardized testing that SM had not covered yet. Any input really appreciated!

Mary

Did you check the RS scope & sequence charts over at the AL Abacus website?

I haven't used Singapore but really like RS. I don't have a super-strong math background so I really appreciate having the scripted lessons to follow. I also prefer using games for practice rather than a heavy reliance on worksheets.

The main downsides to RS in my mind are cost and parent intensiveness. If those aren't big issues for you, then I'd recommend continuing on with RS.

Hmm... Mary, I'm in your same boat. My dd8 never used RS math. She began with Singapore 1a and Horizons 1 and is now on Singapore 3a & Horizons 3.

However, *I* wanted something different for dd5 so I started her this year on RS A and Singapore K. RightStart seems SO thorough... and even though it's teacher-intensive, I love it. I feel like dd5 is getting a strong foundation in math.

Dd8 hasn't struggled w/ Singapore or Horizons, but I still have this lurking feeling that she doesn't have as strong of a foundation as dd5 will by her age. So, I can't offer any suggestions... just interested in other's responses.

Mary,

What type of learner is your dd? My 2nd dd is hands down and do it type learner. She struggled with Singapore alone but does great with the combo. We do both, but hs year around, so we have the time to do two programs. I don't necessarily recommend it to everyone. :D

Both work on base 10 type strategies, RS is stronger on the hands on while Singapore is stronger on thinking skills (bar graphs).

The levels in RS tend to stay relatively the same. In level B practice sheets are introduced, in level C a review sheets are introduced, and the number of worksheets introduced gradually increases, but other than that they have the same basic flow and format. The only thing I might be concerned about is if you are required to do testing then your child might score low just because they have an unusual sequence.

Heather

Mary,

What type of learner is your dd? My 2nd dd is hands down and do it type learner. She struggled with Singapore alone but does great with the combo. We do both, but hs year around, so we have the time to do two programs. I don't necessarily recommend it to everyone. :D

I'm not really sure what this dd's dominant learning style is going to be. She really likes to do things, but I think that's probably true for most Ks. She picks up on a lot of what she hears as well. RS so far is very multisensory while SM is primarily visual and I would have to add in extras to make it more appealing. I think I'm leaning toward trying to use both as well, using RS as the primary and adding in SM. Do you use "grade level" with Singapore? I was trying to match up the RS levels with SM but I haven't really figured it out. :confused: Thanks, Heather.

Mary

'm not really sure what this dd's dominant learning style is going to be. She really likes to do things, but I think that's probably true for most Ks. She picks up on a lot of what she hears as well. RS so far is very multisensory while SM is primarily visual and I would have to add in extras to make it more appealing. I think I'm leaning toward trying to use both as well, using RS as the primary and adding in SM. Do you use "grade level" with Singapore? I was trying to match up the RS levels with SM but I haven't really figured it out. :confused: Thanks, Heather.

Mary

Mary,

Yes I use Singapore by grade level, or close to it. I start them out a year behind then catch them up over time. Right now Sweet Pea (5th grade) is doing 4B and RS C, but will start D in about a week. I actually didn't intend to have her do RS when I bought it but she wanted to give it a try, so we have just doubled up on the lessons given most of it is review, but with a slightly different perspective. Pumpkin (3rd grade) just started 2B and working on RS C, while Honey Dew (2nd grade) is just started 1A and is finishing RS B.

The problem with linking them up is RS B covers addition to 9 digits then briefly covers Subtraction and Multiplication. RS C covers Subtraction and Multiplication in depth the briefly covers Division. RS D covers fractions and Division, but I am not sure about anything else because we haven't used the level yet. RS truly works to mastery, but also has review in the warm ups and at the beginning of the year. Singapore, while not being a spiral program, is more spiral than RS is. Let’s see if I can remember...it covers single digit addition and subtraction in level 1, then double digit subtraction and addition and single digit multiplication in 2. By 3 I think you are covering up to 4 digit addition and subtraction, but maybe only 3, also covering double digit multiplication and single digit division.

By the time I bought RS my oldest two were already doing Singapore, but with my 3rd dd I purposely waited till she started 2nd grade, so she would have a good foundation with RS.

Heather