Menu

Fun audio Spanish?

rose

My two 13yos have expressed interest in learning a foreign language. I've been thinking that Spanish would match our family best but I would like to provide them something enjoyable as a first exposure. They love audio and are both musical. Even if it's a little young for them they would probably enjoy it and learn for awhile. I don't want DVDs as our family doesn't do TV and so even educational videos suck them in to an unhealthy extent. Audio could also be used while doing household chores. Any suggestions?

There is alot out there. Most of it is not very good and is targeted for very young children. I would start with your local library and see what they have. My dd likes Beth Manners and Dr. Jean. Many of the other cds were not singable or were off-key.

Try previewing things online. If my kids were your kids age, I would get an adult course with cds. Effective, but unfortunately not very fun.

I, personally, like Pimsleur. I've used it for every language I have studied. I also usually do some FSI. It is free online, very thorough, and in many languages. They are targeted for businessmen and government employees.

My children are very young. For them, I chose Speedy Spanish by the Bechtel family. Dd likes it because it has a song and a memory verse every week. For middle school grades she will do Pimsleur and/or Spanish Now. She is drooling over Spanish for Children so we will see.

For Spanish there is alot out there. Starting and doing something is more important than finding the perfect course. I've heard great things about Getting Started with Spanish. There are tons of reviews here. We didn't use it because we were beyond what it taught by the time I heard about it.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Try Whistlefritz. It's a DVD-based program but currently has 2 CDs of their Spanish songs--Cha, Cha, Cha! & A Bailar! Sandra Sandia also has a kids' CD that's pretty catchy--even I don't mind listening to it. Look for the Teach Me & Kidzup series of CDs. Ana Lomba has a book/CD combo called 'Play & Learn Spanish'--it contains phrases you'd use/incorporate into everyday activities (i.e., 'It's time to get up', 'I'd like some more milk'). Lomba also has a few bilingual fairytale audiobooks that are decent for ultra-beginners. 'Habla Blah Blah' is another CD title. My daughter enjoys Jose-luis Orozco. He has a couple of CDs that contain authentic, traditional children's Spanish songs. Hopefully these ideas will get you started. Consider posting on this site's bilingual forum too. Suerte.....