Menu

2nd grade language arts help

We are finishing OPG and my 6yo son nails every word. I don't read them to him first, I just read him the rule then he flies with hardly any stumbles. My language arts plan for him next year is WWE level 2, FLL level 2 and Evan Moor spelling grade 2. He nailed spelling this year because he just gets reading and spelling so he probably could do a higher grade but I think we will just move quickly and sequentially. Does he need vocabulary lessons if we casually define words as we go already? Does he need reading comprehension if we do narrations for Bible and history? I guess I am kind of looking for something post-OPG that includes reading out loud practice, vocabulary, and reading comprehension. Does that exist? Thanks!

I don't think vocabulary lessons are critical at this age.  Some people choose to do them.  We haven't.  The kids get tons of vocabulary from chatter around the house and from reading.  And no, a reading comprehension program I wouldn't say is necessary at this age either.  It happens through WWE All. The. Time.  You ask questions, he gets to answer them.  That's comprehension.  Same thing with history and Bible.

We are finishing OPG and my 6yo son nails every word. I don't read them to him first, I just read him the rule then he flies with hardly any stumbles. My language arts plan for him next year is WWE level 2, FLL level 2 and Evan Moor spelling grade 2. He nailed spelling this year because he just gets reading and spelling so he probably could do a higher grade but I think we will just move quickly and sequentially. Does he need vocabulary lessons if we casually define words as we go already? Does he need reading comprehension if we do narrations for Bible and history? I guess I am kind of looking for something post-OPG that includes reading out loud practice, vocabulary, and reading comprehension. Does that exist? Thanks!

I don't think you necessarily need it, but Wordly Wise does all those things fairly well (well, he could read the passage aloud or silently). My kids have always enjoyed it and, I think, benefitted from the work with words.

On 5/28/2016 at 8:51 PM, hisforhomeschooling said:

The only thing I'd add to that list is a stack of high quality children's literature. I'd have him read some daily, and I'd read books beyond his skill level to him. Then we'd discuss them. Ask open ended questions like, "Why did he do that?" "What would you have done?" "Do you think that was a good decision?" 

FWIW, my DD finishing second grade had grammar, writing, spelling, cursive penmanship, and literature. I don't do separate vocab study with any of my kids. We found it redundant with reading high quality children's literature and especially when we added a second language.  I also don't do reading comp programs with my kids at any age. We read good books and discuss them. In middle school I added literary terms. When my teens made it to high school they thrived in Great Books literature and choose to read classics for fun reading.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1