Menu

Good Basic Camera for kids? (and me lol)

RosieCotton

I don't know the answer on this because I am a bit of a camera snob...but if you are willing to do some research, I'll bet you could get an old IPhone (4 or even 3S) that would be interesting as a camera, and maybe you could even download some books or something on it as well. 

Even though I am a snob (but not a very good one, if you ask the Camera Snob Club), I am fully aware that the best camera is the one you will carry.  If you have a most-fabulous-gee-I-wish camera that is at home, you won't catch a better photo with it than you will with the smart phone you have ON you.

We got this one for dd; it's a little over your price range. She takes it everywhere, even outside to film herself and friends acting out stories with their toys. I'm sure it's been in the dirt a lot--because she is in the dirt a lot--but it's been 1.5 years and so far it's still working well. It does need a memory card; that's not included.

Dh has this one, which is within your price range. Very similar basic camera, older model. He still uses it often and it goes with him on his many business trips. He's had his about 3 years.

Both cameras have a rechargeable battery. Neither has an eyepiece viewer, just a screen, which can sometimes be a challenge in very bright sunshine.

I should have just said "old phone"--not brand-specific. :0)

At this point in the industry, I would get a 3-4yo used camera from a reliable dealer. In the past few years, most of the improvements have been things like adding WiFi and so on. Sony makes the processors for their cameras and Nikon's, and they are good processors.

Good glass is always good glass. Look for a camera that has optical zoom of about 10-12x.

I've had a string of Sony's, all with Zeiss glass and have been very happy with them. Look for a used model one or two generations back from B&H or another trusted vendor or from eBay.

That's what I would do.

Hey thanks I appreciate both suggestions!

When I had the time to research I chose the Cyber Shot in 2004 when my son was born.

I'll look at those again (I had bought 2 of the same model off eBay without success) but worth revisiting again.

I'll also check into the old phones too. Always nice to have a book to read option.

Hey thanks I appreciate both suggestions!

When I had the time to research I chose the Cyber Shot in 2004 when my son was born.

I'll look at those again (I had bought 2 of the same model off eBay without success) but worth revisiting again.

I'll also check into the old phones too. Always nice to have a book to read option.

I'm sorry you had a bad result with eBay.  I think I would be likely not to do as well as my dh does, buying stuff off eBay, but he has had tremendous success (partly because he is a good researcher, has a more critical mind and is a bit of a skeptic...)

I have purchased used and SOLD used at Kenmore in the past.  The reason I trust them is that I haven't been disappointed with my purchases, AND because they refused some of what I had to sell.  I wasn't trying to rip anyone off; I just didn't KNOW that the lens had mildew in it.  :0/  But that says to me that they are pretty careful.  They also have a 60-day warranty on used equipment.  

I didn't look at anything besides the Sony section on their used equipment page; I'm most familiar with the Sony line and Zeiss lenses, so did not want to speak about other brands/models.  From a person I trust, I have heard very good things about the newer Fuji cameras, but as they are newer, there is less available used stock, and the track record as a brand is less established.  So there ya go.  :0)

ETA:  I was thinking about it, and I think I got my first CyberShot in 2001.  Then again in 2004.  Then a Sony mirrorless in 2009.  Then another mirrorless in 2013.  That's the one I am still using, and I don't have any reason to upgrade at this point.  But the differences between each of these products was *remarkable* and Sony was always at the cutting edge at the time of their production.  The beef I have with older Sony's is that they USED to use only the touchscreen controls, and as you become a better shooter, you want more controls.  But for a point and shoot, basically, you want to ... point and shoot.  So you find the setting you want in its rich touchscreen menu, and then pretty much stay with it...BUT when you want to change the settings, you can.  But their menu system was irritating once I got past point-and-shoot.  But at that point, you're talking more than $100 anyway.  :0)   

I love the screen cover on the TX20.  That's something that lets you throw the thing into a backpack and not worry.  My mom had an Olympus that had this feature and it was great.