Menu

Question about writing for early logic. . .

Marie in Oh

I have a 5th grader and a 4th grader who have been summarizing their readng assignmnets (history and science) and doing a little outlining. I am really at a loss on how to transition them to original writing. 5th grade ds's writing is still a bit random-- no connections, etc. When he writes a summary it is usually just 5 unrelated facts about what he read. Dd (4th) is naturally a little better, but it isn't because I've taught her anything. Is there something you recommend? I have IEW but I am having trouble implementing it. I plan to use WWE with my youngers. I have a second grader and a K'er, plus 3 more, so I think I will start them in that. PHP doesn't have anything for the 5th -8th, right? Or am I missing something? Would love some suggestions. Thanks.

than I have to give right now. So, I would love some self directed assignments. Someone suggested Wordsmith Apprentice, but I am not sure. I've never seen it. I read a review by SWB a long time ago. I think it was positive.

Writing instruction is generally mommy-intensive.:D I'm not sure how to advise. You sig-line does show you have got lots of littles!! Maybe a mom of a bigger family can help here. At least my post will bump yours up again.

Holly

A non-curriculum help would be to google "how to write a paragraph". There are (or, were a few years ago!) several really neat sites that teach about topic sentences, unity within a paragraph, and how to order or develop the paragraph (order of time or order of importance).

I find I need to help my 5th grade ds come up with topic sentence, and think through the supporting details before he writes his narrations if I want a *really* good paragraph.

hth,

Rhonda