Menu

Has anyone gotten their Latin Alive! teacher's edition?

I got mine Saturday and just started lesson 8 today.

While we were reviewing the chapter reading from lesson 7, I found an error (I think:001_huh:). Has anyone else found anything? I also found some words/phrases in the reading that are not in italics (meaning they're on the vocabulary list), but also not in the glossary.

I would like to post about this on the CAP forum, but my registration hasn't been approved in a week! Hopefully Karen M. will see this and help me out.:001_smile:

This is what I found that I think is a typo: (2nd para, 4th to last sentence)

Viri in viis canabant et saltabant.

I believe canabant should be cantabant, according to the translation in the back of the book.

I couldn't find these without help from an outside source (Verbix and a Latin dictionary):

bellum gerebant (they were waging war- not in the LA glossary or vocab list)

viis (of course, via- but not in the LA glossary or vocab list)

Oh, and my cover is coming off already.:blink:

ETA: don't get me wrong, I really like this program. It's just tough for someone who doesn't already know Latin to use a TM with errors some ideas that are less than clear.

Edited by Okie

I just saw your post and I am happy to help as much as I can. I am actually waiting on my copy of the TE. I haven't seen it yet. First, if the cover is already falling off, I would encourage you to call customer service at CAP. The number is on the website. Their main office is in Pennsylvania and I'm in Texas. So I don't have much to do with production, just the writing end of things. I am sure they'll be happy to help you. I know they would want to know right away if there was a problem.

cano and canto are synonyms. So I can see how this typo easily escaped all the editing eyes.

As for the words in italics and other vocabulary, I'll have to get back to you tomorrow evening after I've had a chance to look at the student text.

I would encourage you and anyone else to keep a good Latin-English dictionary on hand no matter which text you use. It has often been my experience with numerous other texts, including Wheelock and Introduction to Latin, that occassionally words in the chapter reading are nowhere to be found in that book's glossaries. I have much more patience for this than I used to now that the shoe is on the other foot. We really tried to gloss them all, but it is difficult to catch and gloss every single word used in the larger readings. We will certainly keep expanding the master glossary as we become aware of these things. In the meantime, use a good dictionary, and if that fails please post on the CAP forum board. I'm happy to help.

If it has been a while since you applied for membership, I would suggest calling the customer service line and letting them know.

I'll be in touch -

K. Moore

Thanks so much, Karen. We do keep a Latin dictionary on hand and use it frequently. I also like Verbix.com for help with conjugating verbs.

Now that you mention it, I did find cano and canto in the dictionary and see their nearly identical meanings. I never looked up cano because I assumed it was a typo.

For now I'll try to work through all the exercises with dd and catch any unfamiliar stuff. I do go through the lessons and all, but usually take the TM without question. Anyway, I also teach this to another girl, so that makes me question more (she doesn't have the Latin background that my dd does- we did LC I and Cambridge Latin Unit 1 for the last 2 yrs).

I must say that I appreciate the clear explanation of the verb conjugations and all their possible translations. Similarly, the explanation of declining nouns and adjectives has been very clear. Teaching the students to parse is such a great help. I also like the generous amounts of translating (the feature I like best about Cambridge, which we still do, btw).

Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to next year's book.:thumbup:

I'm back - as promised.

You are correct about the phrases mentioned. They were in the reading, but not in the reading glossary. Having a Latin-English dictionary at hand will remedy this for now. I know, however, that it would be helpful to have each and every word glossed with the reading. I will make a note of this for the next printing. I do appreciate you letting me know. We are interested in anything we can do to make this text series as helpful as possible for parent/teachers and students. Thank you also for your kind encouragement. It is greatly appreciated!

K.Moore