Menu

Any reviews for Building Blocks of Science by RS4K ?

Verity

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my upcoming fifth grader for next year. His older brothers are covered, one in virtual school, the other in a two day a week prep school for 9th grade. So I won't be integrating multiple children this year.

We are doing Year 2, Medieval in history, Read alouds that go with that and geography reading scheduled from Wayfarers. I was considering doing RS4K Focus on Middle School Astrology and Geology (Fall/Spring) but wondered if anyone had tried RS4K Building Blocks of Science that has 4 chapters per science topic (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Astrology, Geology) and goes over the whole year. I guess it's part of the question of studying many different topics in younger grades vs immersion in one topic. This year we have done almost nothing but Botany/Biology and it's been tolerable but I don't think particularly memorable or interesting for my kids.

Thoughts?

We are in our fifth year of homeschooling and I too wanted a variety of topics.  So we did RS4K Building Blocks Level 5.   My daughter enjoyed it enough and it felt like a just right amount of reading and activities.  I had my older son do Chemistry for a semester and I felt her chemistry section was just as much and we had a shorter time to work through it- so that felt a little odd to me- having my daughter just as immersed in a topic that her older brother had a semester to dig into the topic and she had less?  But, I will say we enjoyed it and glad we did it- she enjoyed the idea of exploring different topics throughout the school year.

I will say I think it would be challenging to use this same curriculum the following year after using BB.  Simply because I felt she covered almost as much as my son did in a semester- so I'd think there would be a lot of the same- in fact I did have my kids do the experiments together as they were pretty much the same.  It was my first year using this curriculum and it went well.

• Like 1