Menu

Analytical Grammar

TItan

We've completed EG and are now simply doing those 9th/10th grade books that are like daily grams. Since dd wants to be a writer, I don't feel like EG was enough.  It has no writing context.  I've contemplated going back to R&S 7, but it's a long day with that, and we can't learn diagramming at this point.

So this leads me to look at Analytical Grammar and I like that we could do it in a year.  It appears to have a few more upper level concepts than EG and we could learn diagramming as well. 

I'm not sure how useful AG is with utilizing it with writing.  R&S is really full and meshes with writing and creating great sentences, obviously all encompassing in that area, but I can't tell if AG is more like EG, in that it's mainly grammar, but needs more writing or is there enough teaching through writing.  It seems more in that area than EG, but I'd hate to spend money on something that didn't give us enough in the use.  So is it strictly grammar? Is it compartmentalized in that way? 

AG doesn't match your goals. It has lots of diagramming and doesn't do anything with composition.

Killgallon books or Stewart English may be more what you're looking for. Killgallon books only last a month, and Stewart English books last about a semester. SE book 1 focuses on the nuts and bolts of grammar; book 2 covers grammar again but shoves it directly into writing; book 3 is focused on composition.