Menu

6th grade reading/literature suggestions?

I thought I had everything picked out for my rising 6th grader next year, but now I'm second guessing myself. Perhaps I'll just end up buying everything I originally thought I would use, but, in the meantime, I'll ask about some other options. It's looking likely that we'll use Notgrass for history as opposed to Bookshark. There is a literature component to go along with it, but it doesn't include nearly as much as Bookshark does. So, if I use that, I'd like to also use a reading or literature curriculum.

Yes, of course I could just have him read a list of books, but that's not what I want to try for a dyslexic who reads on level but is still somewhat reluctant, especially during our first year of homeschooling. That's part of what is giving me second thoughts regarding Bookshark.

What I'm looking for is a varied collection of shorter works on a solid 6th grade reading level that he can use for read aloud practice and that can also provide some fodder for learning literary analysis skills. Building of general cultural literacy and exposure to great writers is also desirable.

I've looked at both Elson readers and Mosdos literature. They both look good for different reasons. I'm tempted to go with Elson because it's cheaper, but I'm not sure what level to start at. Should I drop down a level for a child who is an average reader for his age?

Mosdos is tempting because it's modern and colorful, but it's also more expensive and it doesn't have as much classic literature.

Has anyone used both and want to compare them? Or have you just used one and want to recommend it? Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

I've actually used both Elson Readers and Mosdos.  I liked both, but ultimately did not feel Mosdos was worth the price tag.  Elson Readers are very nice.  For 6th grade, I would also look at maybe just one or two of the literature guides from Memoria Press (either from the 5th or 6th grade level) to supplement.  

I've actually used both Elson Readers and Mosdos.  I liked both, but ultimately did not feel Mosdos was worth the price tag.  Elson Readers are very nice.  For 6th grade, I would also look at maybe just one or two of the literature guides from Memoria Press (either from the 5th or 6th grade level) to supplement.  

Thanks for sharing your experience - that was exactly what I was concerned about with Mosdos - it looks great, but is it worth the price? Thanks for the MP lit guide suggestion as well. If I go this route, I'll have Squirrelboy choose one of the books that sounds best to him to try out.