Menu

Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra after BJU 6

CindyK

Thanks!  Do you plan to use TT Pre-Algebra or are you going to TT 7?

Well, we ended up deciding to continue on with BJU for at least another year as my dd did not like the TT samples and wanted to stick with BJU.   Had we ended up going with TT, we would have went with Pre-Algebra though.  

Well, we ended up deciding to continue on with BJU for at least another year as my dd did not like the TT samples and wanted to stick with BJU.   Had we ended up going with TT, we would have went with Pre-Algebra though.  

Thanks!  My son likes TT and I like BJU.  It is more teacher intensive though.

My suggestion is to give your child the free placement tests before you decide what level to order.

Of the 2, I think it is generally agreed that BJU is the stronger program. Have you considered the DVDs/online teaching options for BJU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paradox5

My suggestion is to give your child the free placement tests before you decide what level to order.

Of the 2, I think it is generally agreed that BJU is the stronger program. Have you considered the DVDs/online teaching options for BJU?

I have considered the DVDs for BJU.  I've used them in the past with some of my kids for certain things.  I had my son listen online yesterday to a sample class and he seemed to think it was boring and he could do it faster without the class.  I was surprised to say I agreed with him after watching it with him.  I could see it might work for my younger daughter, but my son is a "getter done" no time wasted sort of person.  On the one hand that is good but sometimes I wish he weren't that way so much and slowed down a bit...especially when it comes to handwriting!  :)

Sounds like you could just hand him the book and let him teach himself then. All my boys are like that especially in math.

Edited by Paradox5

Sounds like you could just hand him the book and let him teach himself then. All my boys are like that especially in math.

He does pretty much do all he can in the morning before I even "begin" school at 9am.  :)  I do like to cover anything new with him especially with BJU Math.

We just finished BJU 4 and my kiddo tested in to TT 6.  But barely.  We decided to have her fast track through TT 5 as well.  She sounds similar to your son.  She doesn't have patience for lengthy lessons and just wants to get it done.  I love BJU math and wish she'd stick with it, but honestly, it's been a reminder to me that even a "strong" program doesn't ensure success if it's not a good fit.  She's been self-teaching a lot of lessons and there simply isn't enough meat in the workbook to really cement the concepts in my opinion, so now she's forgotten certain things and definitely needs a refresher on some concepts.  My bad for keeping math peace and letting her do her thing. :( 

My oldest has done so well with TT and I'm hoping for the same success with my middle kiddo. :) 

We just finished BJU 4 and my kiddo tested in to TT 6.  But barely.  We decided to have her fast track through TT 5 as well.  She sounds similar to your son.  She doesn't have patience for lengthy lessons and just wants to get it done.  I love BJU math and wish she'd stick with it, but honestly, it's been a reminder to me that even a "strong" program doesn't ensure success if it's not a good fit.  She's been self-teaching a lot of lessons and there simply isn't enough meat in the workbook to really cement the concepts in my opinion, so now she's forgotten certain things and definitely needs a refresher on some concepts.  My bad for keeping math peace and letting her do her thing.  :(

My oldest has done so well with TT and I'm hoping for the same success with my middle kiddo.  :)

Yes, I am finding certain math programs work better for certain students.  My younger just finished BJU 4 math but I am having her tested in a week since I think she is dyslexic.  Who knows what math I'll end up doing with her next year after the testing.  I've heard some people say their dyslexic child does well with Teaching Textbooks.  I think I would need to sit right beside her though.  We'll see!  :)

Yes, I am finding certain math programs work better for certain students.  My younger just finished BJU 4 math but I am having her tested in a week since I think she is dyslexic.  Who knows what math I'll end up doing with her next year after the testing.  I've heard some people say their dyslexic child does well with Teaching Textbooks.  I think I would need to sit right beside her though.  We'll see!  :)

My oldest is dyslexic and TT works very well for her.  She does the lectures and lessons on the computer, but I have her do all corrections (including problems she tries twice) and all quizzes on paper.  We also did units - like long division - on paper.  You have to watch for certain computer issues - like the cursor automatically moving to the correct spot for the answer.  This was an issue with long division because she needed to cement that process by writing it, not just seeing the cursor move (hopefully that makes sense.)   Have you tried some of the samples for TT?   

My oldest is dyslexic and TT works very well for her.  She does the lectures and lessons on the computer, but I have her do all corrections (including problems she tries twice) and all quizzes on paper.  We also did units - like long division - on paper.  You have to watch for certain computer issues - like the cursor automatically moving to the correct spot for the answer.  This was an issue with long division because she needed to cement that process by writing it, not just seeing the cursor move (hopefully that makes sense.)   Have you tried some of the samples for TT?   

That's good to hear!  I like the idea of her doing quizzes on paper.  My son used a scrap paper for things but did a lot in his head.  I bought him the book to write in but he didn't do much in it.  I think she would do well to use it though.  That is one reason I stuck with BJU since I knew she needed to do it on paper.  I haven't tried any samples with her yet.  I'm waiting to have her tested this week and next and then go from there. 

• Like 1