Menu

What does your dc use to listen to audiobooks?

I'm thinking about the future and how eventually when my four year old daughter gives up naps, I want to have a plan in place for maintaining a quiet time. I'd love for her to listen to audiobooks, but because I have a younger dd who will still be napping, I'm hesitant to start something that might be distracting to little sis. Does anyone have a kid-friendly portable, personal CD player that you recommend? I'm thinking along the lines of the old Walkman, only for CDs.:tongue_smilie:

We got K a cheap mp3 player when she was 5, and put some of her music CDs on it. It was a great investment, and R will be getting one for her birthday in a couple of months. You can download free (old) audiobooks at librivox.org, and with an mp3 player (you can get them as low as $20 for 1 gigabyte) you can change the content as often as you need to. They don't have to read to use it - just know which button means "go" and which means "next."

That said, both of mine do quiet time instead of naps, and they just play or read in their rooms. Occasionally it does get loud (mostly R singing) but they know the rules and a reminder usually settles things down again. It takes a little time to get this to become a habit, but here it's been worth it - that's MY time off each day!

My boys have a "boom box" CD player/tape player in their room, and they both have MP3 players (mostly used for music CDs and librivox)

Here is the "boom box" player:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4872130

and here are their MP3 players:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2459)-SDMX11R-2048B-A70-SanDisk_Sansa_Clip_MP3_Player_2GB__Blue.aspx

I love these because they clip on their pockets. Fabulous!

I plan to get speakers for the MP3 players too. Right now, they just have headphones.

My boys are very active when they listen -- swinging and such, and so the clip-on works just great! They kept dropping their portable CD players.