Menu

Those without health insurance: have you looked into Starbucks?

Starbucks gives health benefits and profit sharing to employees who work part-time, 20 hours a week or more. Working 20 hours is very doable with homeschooling, I do it. It doesn't pay great, but an important factor is tips, my store is a local neighborhood store and it raises the hourly pay by 3-4 dollars. Love that!

Anyway, many people at our store are doing it as a second job because their main job lacks health benefits. They even give maternity leave to part time employees. The schedules are flexible, and I just can't say enough good things about working for Starbucks.They are a great company, even before you factor in the coffee!

I thought I'd throw it out there, because I know many on this board are lacking health care, and may want to look into a 2nd job or a part time job specifically to get health benefits.

I looked into it, but our Starbucks is one of the ones closing.

Do you know if their PT benefits are the same as their FT? Many places offer PT employees health benefits, but often it is a low quality plan with low caps on benefits. I know that REI's and Lowes' plans are this way - the coverage you get is not what most people would consider "health insurance."

ETA: I didn't mean for it to sound so negative! I just wondered if the plan had a $5000 annual cap or not.

But do you get free drinks? I just might be able to get up there in the mornings to work but would need a kicker to get me moving.:D

I would work for coffee!! :D

There is a Starbucks in my town. This certainly would be "doable" in desperate times. It means my business-owner dh doesn't have to bear the complete cost of insuring us.

For now we are going to try self-paying medical expenses and see how it works out.

As far as I know (we have military health insurance so I don't use SBs) the benefits are the same for full time vs part time.Health is Blue Cross. I don't know about dental. Its pretty good insurance though, from what I hear from those that work there specifically for the health benefits!I mean, no worse than others, you know? I'll ask tonight and see about caps, etc.

And of *course* there is free coffee! Free drinks before and after and during a shift, 40% off the rest of the time. A free pound of coffee a week (that alone saves us $40 a month or more! Plus I give it as gifts.)

I'm off to work now, actually. MMmmmm...pumpkin spice latte, here I come!