Menu

I know this has been discussed before but...

Tanya in KS

How do you homeschool with many different ages and age ranges???

I have a 8th grader (I am stressing about HS next year - what will I do with him??) Pretty independent worker but still needs some guidance when things aren't completely understood. ie math problems, science, etc

5th grader * 2 grader - we do history & science together, everything else separate. 5th grader, pretty independent but still needs teaching for math & grammar sometimes. 2nd grader struglling with phonics rules but reads excellent! just doesn't seem to have confidence to write own sentences without me spelling EVERY word for him

4,3,2 year old. all doing Little Hands to Heaven but 4 year old will be ready to start reading probably after the 1st of the year. YIKES!!

Also, have 5 year old - autistic one that attend public preschool

SOOOO when you have some many different ages and grades - how do you get it all done??? How do you concentrate on HS when you need to be teaching phonics to the little ones? How do you grade all the different grades -particularly math, grammar???

Thanks for your help!

Tanya

I don't have any magic answers, but I teach a 10th, 9th, 7th, and 5th. I really tried to simplify this year so I would have more time to concentrate on the "biggies". Winston Grammar has been great. I plan on repeating the Basic Program twice with the younger two and the Advanced Program twice with the older two. Math-u-see all around keeps me sane. Abeka science in the high school years is completely planned and IMHO "idiot proofed" for teachers. I just open the teacher's guide and go. WTM methods for science and history for the 5th grader (and maybe 9th and 10th - not happy with Streams of Civ. 2). Doing as much together, as you know, helps as well. I also like Christian Liberty Press Bible for the youngers and Spelling Workout.

How do you homeschool with many different ages and age ranges???

I have a 8th grader (I am stressing about HS next year - what will I do with him??) Pretty independent worker but still needs some guidance when things aren't completely understood. ie math problems, science, etc

5th grader * 2 grader - we do history & science together, everything else separate. 5th grader, pretty independent but still needs teaching for math & grammar sometimes. 2nd grader struglling with phonics rules but reads excellent! just doesn't seem to have confidence to write own sentences without me spelling EVERY word for him

4,3,2 year old. all doing Little Hands to Heaven but 4 year old will be ready to start reading probably after the 1st of the year. YIKES!!

Also, have 5 year old - autistic one that attend public preschool

SOOOO when you have some many different ages and grades - how do you get it all done??? How do you concentrate on HS when you need to be teaching phonics to the little ones? How do you grade all the different grades -particularly math, grammar???

Thanks for your help!

Tanya

I work with my younger ones first thing in the morning. I don't do anything prior to K. I only spend about an hour/grade level for grades K-2 teaching.

My older kids I rotate through. I teach. They go work. While they work on their own, I teach someone else.

And so goes my day.......hr after hr. ;)