Menu

Need Math recommendation

I need a simple workbook format for a student I am helping tutor.  Open design, not too many problems to work per lesson.  

Basically I am looking for something like the layout and simplicity of Math U See, but much more affordable.  Their workbook price is now $40 plus $10 for not-fast shipping.  

Thank you

I'm sure Kate will come back today with a much better reply than mine.

I use Math Mammoth for my grade 6 child. I tried switching to other math programs but always come back to it. It is very affordable and open and go. I have used grade 1, parts of grade 3 and 4 for review, and grade 5. Will be used for grade 3 for my daughter next year. I use the Original Series with my children. The lessons can be busy for some but could easily be divided up. They range from 2-4 pages but will have instruction on some. 

The author also has some youtube videos that go along. 

You can buy the entire series or just by the grade or even by the book. Each grade has 2 books and 2 answer keys and tests. 

• Like 1

I use Math Mammoth for my grade 6 child. I tried switching to other math programs but always come back to it. It is very affordable and open and go. I have used grade 1, parts of grade 3 and 4 for review, and grade 5. Will be used for grade 3 for my daughter next year. I use the Original Series with my children. The lessons can be busy for some but could easily be divided up. They range from 2-4 pages but will have instruction on some. 

The author also has some youtube videos that go along. 

You can buy the entire series or just by the grade or even by the book. Each grade has 2 books and 2 answer keys and tests. 

Exactly what I was going to say! (And you are too kind, Pamela. :) ) The pages are definitely a little busy, but they provide a well-thought-out progression of exercises. You could even use the Blue series (which is by topic, not grade) and download one topic at a time for only about $5. 

If you like the feel of Math Mammoth, another possibility would be to use their free worksheet generator. You can choose what you want very specifically, and it creates lovely clean worksheets with lots of white space. There's no instruction provided (as opposed to Math Mammoth, which has instruction in the text), but it's a great resource for creating practice pages. 

• Like 1

Thank you both for the help.  I have some older MM I can print out, but it was the busyness of it that I was trying to avoid for this one particular kiddo.  I had totally forgotten about the math generator.  I will also look into Math in Focus and Rod and Staff.  

Thank you both for taking your time to answer.  Very much appreciated.