Menu

Hmmmm....that's a pretty tough one there.

Maybe call the local church and see if you can get the 2nd grade CCD book? (That's the year they take First Communion so the CCD book contains all the most Basic elements of the church's teachings)

Maybe look online for a second grade CCD book?

There's also a book called "understanding the Mass" at Amazon or something similar. If you followed that up with attending that would be awesome though maybe not in your comfort range.

You could check out Seton and see if they have anything.

I know as a person raised Catholic and now studied God's Word for 15 years straight I still vehemently disagree with some stances of the church. However now when I attend A mass with my mom I do actually see a ton of Biblical elements that I greatly appreciate. Also after having read Maria Von Trapp's autobiography I wish we Protestants had more feast days and more liturgy (her explanation of her heart on these days and why they should be kept is a total eye opener!)

Anyway sorry I couldn't think of something more specific!

• Like 2

Hi, I am Catholic and looking at history curriculum for my 6th grader.  I saw your post and thought I'd respond.  He uses Faith and Life series for his CCD class.  You can get them at Catholic Heritage online, or maybe Amazon.  They also have history curriculum that would be good for comparison.

Last year our son used the 6th grade Seton workbook, it is inexpensive and might give you enough.  Or another book we have enjoyed is The Worlds Story, by Elizabeth O'Neill (this is a reproduction and can be hard to find).

I would suggest you call a Catholic church and inquire if one of their teacher's or even the priest might meet with you all to discuss the differences.  I know our priest would love to discuss the history of the church! :)  It would give you a great resource, but I guess it would depend on the priest.

This time of year (usually on Fridays) is the Stations of the Cross service, my favorite.  Just a thought to attend and discuss with your children.  

Martha