Menu

Tween Group at Church - resources?

It's hard to suggest anything without knowing a bit more about the group.  What is the general set of topics?  What religious perspective are you coming from?  How much time do you have them for on a weekly basis?

I have about 1 to 1- 1/2 hours every other week.  We're an independent Sabbatarian Christian fellowship that isn't associated with a major denomination,but typically Protestant materials do not conflict with our beliefs (and there is some diversity of belief within the congregation).  There isn't a general set of topics, and I have freedom to teach whatever/however seems appropriate.  I'm planning to ask parents for input, but I'd like to have some possibilities I can suggest if they don't already have an idea about what their priorities are for the class.  It's really pretty open.  But because I haven't worked with this age group before, I'd like to hear about people's favorite resources when working with them.

There are so many great things you can do with this age group! When I was a teacher at church, this was my favorite age range (10-12 year olds). Here are some ideas.

1. First, of course, you can utilize your Bibles. ;) Be sure that every student has his or her own Bible and brings it to class each week. Take the time to "tour" the Bible. Many of your students might know that there are two major divisions (OT & NT) and several sub-divisions (e.g., books of law, historical books, poetry & wisdom, etc.). They may know some or all of the names of the Bible books, may know some of the genres (types) of biblical literature, and may know how to look up "book, chapter, verse." But be sure that they all really do know these things. There are several songs for the books of the Bible, if that helps them to learn. Discuss which translation each student has, and how each is different. You might want to read aloud the first section of Crossway (listed below), entitled "How the Bible Came to Us." It's well-worth reading this as a class. It can also be eye-opening for students this age to see and hear portions of the Bible read in various world languages.

2. Most kids this age like (and need) to go beyond the basic Bible stories, especially if they've been in church all their lives. ;) They begin to want to understand the broader historical context, are able to use maps and other reference tools to enhance understanding, and start to ask "Why?" and "What does that mean?" types of questions. Your theology will certainly get a workout! Several resources I've found good for this are:

• The David C. Cook Journey through the Bible, by Victor Gilbert Beers (previously called The Victor Handbook of Bible Knowledge)
  • Children's Guide to the Bible, by Robert Willoughby
  • The Crossway Illustrated Bible Handbook, by Tim Dowley (ed.)
  • The Baker Illustrated Guide to Everyday Life in Bible Times, by John A. Beck
  • The Student Bible Atlas, by Tim Dowley
  • The Holman Bible Concordance for Kids: A Personal Guide through the Word for Kids Who Want Answers

If I were in your shoes, I would learn (myself) how to use each of these tools (have a pastor show you, if necessary). Then, show your students how each tool "works." You could invite a local seminary student or professor or pastor to show your class how to use Bible study tools. Then practice. ;) Kids this age love to think they know how to actually do something!

3. If your church allows it, there is an easy-to-use tool called Junior Bible Quiz (it's published by the Assemblies of God). We use it here at home, but not to prepare for competition (my girls do not want to compete at all!). It's a large set of cards with 576 quiz questions and answers, at various levels (each level of questions gets harder). You could use this set to quiz your students for 10-15 minutes each week on basic Bible facts (that are true, regardless of your church's specific tenets). If you come across something that contradicts your church's teaching, just take that card out of the pack. ;) Also available for this resource is an audio CD with all the questions and answers read (it's okay, not our favorite), a teacher's book (not necessary if you have the fact pack), and some digital resources online (helpful, but not necessary). We just use the Fact Pack, and that has been enough. Kids this age seem to love "quizzing," even if they're not actually quizzing (I was a real competitive JBQ quizzer and teen quizzer, so I know what that is).

4. Spend some time each class memorizing selected hymns, the Apostles' Creed, and basic Bible material, such as the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes, the "I am" statements of Jesus, the Twelve Tribes of Israel, 1 Corinthians 13 (Love Chapter), and the books of the Bible (with divisions).

5. You might want to find a Bible study tool that seems like a "fit" for your situation (church budget, class size, student abilities, teacher prep time, etc.). Some possibilities are Bible Study Guide for All Ages, Discover 4 Yourself Inductive Bible Studies, Grapevine Studies, or Positive Action for Christ.

6. Finally, and I know this isn't a resource, exactly, but... your best resource is you. Don't overlook the importance of personal discipleship in the lives of your students. They need more than "Christian information" -- they need a witness to the love, grace, power, and presence of Jesus Christ in a real person's life. You are that person. Pray for them and with them. Disciple them. Spend time outside of class with them, visit them at home, attend their school plays and soccer games, go to their grandparent's funeral, send them get well cards, get to know their parents and siblings. They are at a critical age for really knowing God, or concluding that He isn't there. Be willing to share from your own walk with God, your certainties, even some doubts and questions, but always coming back to what you know to be true, and how you know it. HTH.

• Like 4

You may like to look at The Gospel Project. It is so easy to use and affordable. Each lesson includes discussion questions for application - our old church split up girls and boys as they are more comfortable discussing real theology as it relates to life separately. It weaves the Gospel into every lesson. You would use the Teen program for this age.

• Like 2

There are so many great things you can do with this age group! When I was a teacher at church, this was my favorite age range (10-12 year olds). Here are some ideas.

1. First, of course, you can utilize your Bibles. ;) Be sure that every student has his or her own Bible and brings it to class each week. Take the time to "tour" the Bible. Many of your students might know that there are two major divisions (OT & NT) and several sub-divisions (e.g., books of law, historical books, poetry & wisdom, etc.). They may know some or all of the names of the Bible books, may know some of the genres (types) of biblical literature, and may know how to look up "book, chapter, verse." But be sure that they all really do know these things. There are several songs for the books of the Bible, if that helps them to learn. Discuss which translation each student has, and how each is different. You might want to read aloud the first section of Crossway (listed below), entitled "How the Bible Came to Us." It's well-worth reading this as a class. It can also be eye-opening for students this age to see and hear portions of the Bible read in various world languages.

2. Most kids this age like (and need) to go beyond the basic Bible stories, especially if they've been in church all their lives. ;) They begin to want to understand the broader historical context, are able to use maps and other reference tools to enhance understanding, and start to ask "Why?" and "What does that mean?" types of questions. Your theology will certainly get a workout! Several resources I've found good for this are:

• The David C. Cook Journey through the Bible, by Victor Gilbert Beers (previously called The Victor Handbook of Bible Knowledge)
  • Children's Guide to the Bible, by Robert Willoughby
  • The Crossway Illustrated Bible Handbook, by Tim Dowley (ed.)
  • The Baker Illustrated Guide to Everyday Life in Bible Times, by John A. Beck
  • The Student Bible Atlas, by Tim Dowley
  • The Holman Bible Concordance for Kids: A Personal Guide through the Word for Kids Who Want Answers

If I were in your shoes, I would learn (myself) how to use each of these tools (have a pastor show you, if necessary). Then, show your students how each tool "works." You could invite a local seminary student or professor or pastor to show your class how to use Bible study tools. Then practice. ;) Kids this age love to think they know how to actually do something!

3. If your church allows it, there is an easy-to-use tool called Junior Bible Quiz (it's published by the Assemblies of God). We use it here at home, but not to prepare for competition (my girls do not want to compete at all!). It's a large set of cards with 576 quiz questions and answers, at various levels (each level of questions gets harder). You could use this set to quiz your students for 10-15 minutes each week on basic Bible facts (that are true, regardless of your church's specific tenets). If you come across something that contradicts your church's teaching, just take that card out of the pack. ;) Also available for this resource is an audio CD with all the questions and answers read (it's okay, not our favorite), a teacher's book (not necessary if you have the fact pack), and some digital resources online (helpful, but not necessary). We just use the Fact Pack, and that has been enough. Kids this age seem to love "quizzing," even if they're not actually quizzing (I was a real competitive JBQ quizzer and teen quizzer, so I know what that is).

4. Spend some time each class memorizing selected hymns, the

<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostles"href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostles" _creed"="">5. You might want to find a Bible study tool that seems like a "fit" for your situation (church budget, class size, student abilities, teacher prep time, etc.). Some possibilities are Bible Study Guide for All Ages, Discover 4 Yourself Inductive Bible Studies, Grapevine Studies, or Positive Action for Christ.

6. Finally, and I know this isn't a resource, exactly, but... your best resource is you. Don't overlook the importance of personal discipleship in the lives of your students. They need more than "Christian information" -- they need a witness to the love, grace, power, and presence of Jesus Christ in a real person's life. You are that person. Pray for them and with them. Disciple them. Spend time outside of class with them, visit them at home, attend their school plays and soccer games, go to their grandparent's funeral, send them get well cards, get to know their parents and siblings. They are at a critical age for really knowing God, or concluding that He isn't there. Be willing to share from your own walk with God, your certainties, even some doubts and questions, but always coming back to what you know to be true, and how you know it. HTH.

Excellent question. OP.

Sahamama, thanks for all these suggestions. We teach 3rd-5th grade and I'd like something more in depth than what we use now. These look like a good starting point.

Thank you both!  Sahamama, your post was very encouraging and helpful.  I've used several of the resources you mentioned in our home, but it didn't occur to me to use them in a church setting.  I need to look up some of the ones you mentioned that I'm not already familiar with.  I'll also check out The Gospel Project, Calming Tea!  

• Like 2