Menu

Which books are most important concerning American and World History?

Hi! If you could choose only a few books for your study of American and then World History which books would you choose?

American History (say 4 or 5)

World History (say 6 to 8)

I am thinking broadly---like books including biographies, autobiographies, textbooks, living history books, etc. This would be for grades 8-12.

I would love to know which books are most important so that we can be sure to choose those! Thank you so much!:001_smile:

by living history I mean historical fiction book by for example GA Henty etc.

Or do you want book that mainly present the historical facts.

Susan Bauer book of Ancient History is wonderful

for US history a Patriot's History of the United States is very complete, for the level you are looking for and a great price(I paid $14.25 for it from Rainbow resources)

Zinn's History of the American People is also very good.

Books are are more fact geared will cover a larger time frame.

I am wondering which books would you be sure to use with your students when covering Amercian History and World History. I am thinking about the books not to be missed!:D

For example, if you were covering American History with your dc which books (say 4 or 5) would you be certain you would use. Which ones for certain with World History? The ones you couldn't imagine not reading. Does that make sense? Sorry if this sounds awkward.

Thank you for your suggestions so far. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Maybe the World History is too broad. How about a few you consider "must reads" for ancients, middle ages and then modern european. I am trying to get a really small book list to start with and then I know I will add to it with other curricula we will be using.

Thanks again!