Menu

Do any of your teens play bridge?

Can you tell me more about how they go about doing it?

Do they organize a group themselves or do they join existing clubs in the community?

DS has suddenly professed an interest and is researching clubs around our area (there seem to be at least 3). I have no clue what it entails other than from what I've read in novels about it being a group game. We can easily google the rules. It's the general atmosphere of bridge clubs that I am wondering about. I don't know if I will be able to sit through a game myself as I am so stretched time-wise. I might just drop him off or he might go by himself.

Would love thoughts! Thanks!

Ask the bridge club, they vary and some are more beginner-friendly than others. Many established clubs have a beginner's night which is where he should start. It's an awesome game although sadly not as many people play as formerly. 

If there isn't a local friendly club, he'll need a regular group of 4+ (it is best if there are even numbers on any given night, although you can muck around with it otherwise) who are all willing to learn.

The ACBL has free learn-to-play-bridge software -- http://www.acbl.org/learn_page/learn-to-play-bridge-software/

Edited by kiana
  • Like 1

I would contact the bridge clubs directly and ask first about the atmosphere and then tell them that you have a beginner level teen who would like to join.

Around here, people get together to play games and talk about their lives and going-ons. What sort of language the use and what sort of lives they lead is extremely individualized. There are some game sites/barbershops that we don't use because of the regulars that frequent these places.

I often host board games at my place because I don't have to worry about child care, if the games go long into the night the boys can drop off to sleep anytime, I don't have a roommate that may be bothered by company (well, aside from my weird un-socialized home schoolers) and I can exercise control over who comes and how long they stay.

Plus, If I'm providing the venue someone else has to bring the food. ;)

Edited by Gil
  • Like 1

Yes, I'm the parent of a bridge player. Our local bridge club occasionally offers a class for kids/teens. They also offer a beginner adult class which can be appropriate for mature or focused teens. Our experience has been that bridge clubs are often very enthusiastic about bringing in new players. Once your son has down the basics, he should be able to join events easily without having a partner - the group likely has a list of players looking for someone to play with for each event. Especially when playing locally it can be inexpensive activity and they may offer reduced rates for students.

Also one more note - our local bridge club sometimes hires kids to "caddy" games and obviously when those happen during weekdays that's a job for homeschoolers. The caddy is basically just a person who runs around and does little tasks for the tournament. That was the first exposure to bridge for our family and it was a nice way for the kid to pick up a little cash.

Edited by Barbara H
  • Like 1

Thank you kiana, Gil and Barbara! I've sent him the free software link and after I posted the question here, we discovered a free youth beginner bridge club to get him started.

Barbara, I think he must have been thinking of your suggestion when you mentioned it a few months ago. He received a deck of playing cards from a friend yesterday and I am sure that had something to do with it too (despite having some unused decks at home lol). :laugh:

• Like 1