Menu

HOD high school

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see this earlier but caught it today and thought I would respond.  My oldest at home is doing pieces of World Geography with parts of World History this year.  Specifically, he's doing the literature out of World History.  It's been good for him this year and I do like the approach Carrie has taken with it though if you want a more formal literature study it may not be enough for you.   The books have been interesting for my son and because he hates to right, the shorter journal entries that are required every day are a good compromise for him.  I like that he's thinking through the books on his own rather than answering a lot of comprehension questions.  The journal questions usually require the student to tie together different parts of the book, different characters or apply the Bible to a situation in the book.  At the end of each book, the student completes a Plot Diagram.  I do wish that Carrie had somehow allowed more time for these or somehow had the student work on them throughout the book and I'm thinking of adjusting that part a lot the next time I through the program.  There would be a lot of opportunity to make this more in-depth if you want more formal book analysis.

I can't speak to the writing because this particular son had used EIW for a partial year earlier in his high school career and couldn't stand the program so we've been using a combination of WWS and Elegant Essay this year.

My dd is doing Literature and writing from the World Geography guide this year.  In this guide you alternate between doing Bob Jones Literature and reading novels.   Bob Jones is teaching the literature analysis terms and questions.   When you read the books they are doing oral narrations, written narrations, common place book enteries, and a student led discussion.   I think the writing program is good.  My dd sometimes complains, but that is because she is a natural writer and doesn't like to follow a certain guideline, but it is necessary when writing the papers in this program.  Overall, a good program although my daughter has a hard time keeping up with the reading as she is a slower reader.    

Thanks for your responses.

How would you compare HOD's lit to doing something like Excellence in Literature or Center for Lit? I really look forward to reading and discussing great literature with my girls. I want to use a program that guides me well and leads to the rich discussions that can be had while reading great books. I definitely want my kids to learn independence and how to manage their school work without me holding their hands, but I really don't want their history and literature to be mostly independent. The high school where we live that we would consider is a private, all girls school that has a fabulous English department and I hear such sweet stories of all the girls sitting in class with their teachers having riveting conversations about books. If they don't do it all independently there, I don't want to at home. I guess one of my questions is this - does HOD largely leave it independent? With me only hearing a few oral narrations a week?

Edited by Pdriskell

I have only looked a little at Excellence in Literature so not sure what that program is like.  I know HOD is written to be used more independently, but not to say you couldn't have more in depth  discussions on the books.  I know what you mean though while I think HOD is a good program, I'm not in love with the BJU portion of the literature, but that is where we are learning the terms and such of literary analysis.  The next levels of the programs do not use BJU, so may be a more natural approach.  We have only used the World Geography guide so not sure what is required in the next levels.  I am also looking at other programs to see if there is something we will enjoy more.