Menu

OT: Prayer request

MicheleB

Putting this here for all your mothers who *know* what it's like to deal with a special needs child.

I posted a few days ago in General chats that my dc and I were going to Ocean City MD with my family this week. 2 of my kids are in various stages of strep throat, one an ear infection. They're OK enough to enjoy things but dragging some.

My 9yo, however, is melting down. He has a very, very difficult time with change. I guess I really didn't think coming to the ocean (which he's only seen as a baby) would be hard for him, but it is. We got here late this afternoon and by bedtime he was sobbing to go home, and be where "everything is the same as it always is". He spent a lot of today crying about things, or conversely, being oppositional. I know it's a long trip (6 hours driving), and a lot of people around him telling him what to do (my parents, my aunt, my sister).

My oldest dd also has severe weather anxieties and unfortunately, where we are has coastal flood warnings until late Thursday. Go figure... She told me if it's going to keep on being windy (one of her fears), that she wants to go home.

The hotel got our rooms wrong and offered us another, very nice first floor, ocean front room. However, in this wonderful non-smoking hotel, the people in the room next to us (which by the way, has a connecting door to our room) have been smoking all night. Since we don't smoke and have allergies, we're having a rough time with that one too. I called the front desk but it hasn't seemed to help any.

So, as I type this, I feel like either laughing or crying hysterically. I'm just praying it all looks a LOT better in the morning! Otherwise, it could be a very long week for everyone.

If you think of us, I (we) could use your prayers and thoughts!:001_smile:

We will keep you in our prayers.

I was with my sister-in-law once at a hotel. We had a prob. with our bill. First the talked to the desk clerk, but she did it in such a sweet way. She made small talk with him about his hometown football team and other things he was interested in. She asked him a lot of things about himself and showed a lot of interest. By the time she got around to the problem, they were just best friends. She is very charasmatic, not flirting, just showing interest in the person. He called the manager and by the time the manager got to desk everyone was in a great mood. She got what she wanted and got $40 knocked off the bill.

Later I asked her how she did that. She said that in her experience everyone is always ready to complain in a loud way. They gripe and get aggrivated and just make everyone else aggrivated. If you approach things in a kind, caring way your actions speak louder than words.

Don't ignore the situation, just handle it the way you would want others to handle it with you. You know. The Golden Rule.

This is my advice. I am not a pushy person, so I like this approach. I take it that you are not either.

Good luck with the rest of your week! I will not forget to pray!

Sorry!

If it's any comfort, one of my children said, upon embarking on vacation years ago: "I don't WANT to be in a cabin; I want to go home." By the end of the week, it was, "I don't WANT to go home. I WANT to stay in the cabin." :) Don't know whether that's good news or bad news, LOL! But perhaps your kiddos will adjust to being at the ocean very soon!