Menu

SOTW Ancients Question repost

Ohio12

We are doing SOTW Ancients. Is anyone else? Can you look and see if you have these problems? I am asking here one more time before I e-mail the PHP, which I am extremely nervous to do in case I am just confused and unable to figure this out!

In the actual text of SOTW, chapter 11 page 77 has a map of Africa. In the AG, the corresponding map is a review map but it is titled Ancient Africa (Africa is no where on it). Then on the little 3x5 maps on pg 170 of the AG the map for chapter 11 is called "Hammurabi and the Babylonians," but it is a review map and goes with the chapter on Africa. It seems odd that the map of Africa on page 77 of SOTW the text is not in the AG anywhere and that the other two seem to be mislabeled. I just wondered if anyone else was a little confused.

Sidenote about the Ancient China (ch 10) map too. Why did they zoom in on it so much instead of showing it in relationship to India and Mesopotamia? Then, there is no map for Africa (ch 11) at all. Why wouldn't they want to show where that is?

I see exactly what you are talking about but have no idea why it's that way.

Just an FYI, Egypt is a part of Africa, although I agree with you that Africa should be more prominent (ie. the whole continent) since the map is for ancient Africa. It also would be nice to see China in relation to the other places you have studied, but I imagine they did it this way because then China would be too small.

Just thought I'd let you know your not alone!

ETA: Sorry I missed your first post!

I see exactly what you are talking about but have no idea why it's that way.

Just an FYI, Egypt is a part of Africa, although I agree with you that Africa should be more prominent (ie. the whole continent) since the map is for ancient Africa. It also would be nice to see China in relation to the other places you have studied, but I imagine they did it this way because then China would be too small.

Just thought I'd let you know your not alone!

ETA: Sorry I missed your first post!

What a huge relief that I am not crazy! DH says he will try to make dd a map that has everything on it that I want. But usually SWB makes everything exactly how I would want it. I am loving everything else about this book!

This may sound like a simplistic answer, but I think they just title the maps based on what the title of the chapter is. This way you know in which chapter the map was used. I find that the activity guide instructions regarding mapwaork usually make it easy to understand the purpose of the map. The ancient china map would have been spread out so much to show why it was considered the "Far East". That's just my take on this, but I hope it helps.