Menu

Slow Pace of Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading?

ReadingMama1214

DD4 is on lesson 47 of OPGTR. We have a few more lessons until we get to the section on consonant digraphs. She is doing well with it and can read the words in the lessons. She does occasionally reverse b and d, but usually self corrects. However, she is still sounding out most words with the exception of "the" "a" "can" "was" "and" and a few other similar words. She understands blending, but doesn't seem to do it in her reading aloud. She will read "quick" by saying each individual sound and then saying the word as a whole. She can blend sounds if I say /r/ /e/ /d/ she will respond with "red" and she usually doesn't get a word  wrong unless she's not looking at it. We spent the last 2 days reading sentences that I made up for her to review the concepts that we have learned. I plan to continue on and finish section 4, but do I take time to review and allow her to build fluency before moving on? Has anyone slowed the pace of OPGTR? We currently do 1 lesson a day 5 days a week, but I would consider taking a week or two to review before moving on. 

Unfortunately there is no magical right answer :).  It sounds like she is doing fine and as expected, especially for a 4 yr old.  When I hit similar roadblocks with my dc, I'd often try pausing to review for a few days, only to find that eventually it would all "click" at some lesson farther down the road.  

If she's not frustrated with the sentences or words on the lesson, I'd just keep moving ahead and expect it to take some time until it all comes together for her.  OTOH, if she becomes frustrated or is in tears about it, just slow down and let her gain confidence by practicing on what she already knows.

Remember that you have lots of time!  Even if you eventually find yourself behind where you wanted to be, you can always double up lessons later once she is reading more fluently.  And its okay to take a couple of years to go through the book, especially when you begin on the young side.

Unfortunately there is no magical right answer :).  It sounds like she is doing fine and as expected, especially for a 4 yr old.  When I hit similar roadblocks with my dc, I'd often try pausing to review for a few days, only to find that eventually it would all "click" at some lesson farther down the road.  

If she's not frustrated with the sentences or words on the lesson, I'd just keep moving ahead and expect it to take some time until it all comes together for her.  OTOH, if she becomes frustrated or is in tears about it, just slow down and let her gain confidence by practicing on what she already knows.

Remember that you have lots of time!  Even if you eventually find yourself behind where you wanted to be, you can always double up lessons later once she is reading more fluently.  And its okay to take a couple of years to go through the book, especially when you begin on the young side.

Thanks! She isn't frustrated at all with it. She'll occasionally look at a word and say it's "tricky", but then I tell her to sound it out slowly and she does fine. I am assuming she will gain fluency as she goes. Today we did the lesson on the ending "nk" and she did excellent. She's actually surpassing my expectations. I think I will plan to take a couple of days every few weeks to just review. Find a good pausing place and take some time to do sentences with the words we've read and the concepts. 

I am sure that there will be times that we slow down and speed up. She still has a while before she enters actual school (Kindergarten in 2017-18) and I am guessing that we will be pretty well through OPGTR then. But who knows! She'll get Riggs in K so I am not worried about the phonics rules not sinking in yet. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah, you have to. The only other option, really, is plowing ahead without the student comprehending and there's no sense in that!

Plus at 4 (!) you have nothing BUT time.

Oh yeah, you have to. The only other option, really, is plowing ahead without the student comprehending and there's no sense in that!

Plus at 4 (!) you have nothing BUT time.

I think she's comprehending. If she doesn't know what  word means, she will ask and we will discuss the meaning. When we read the sentences I stop after and ask her questions about what she read. She seems to be getting the meaning of the words, her reading is just slow. I think the occasional break for review will help though.

This, exactly.