Menu

still obsessing about whether to try slanted hand with left-handed child

lacell

LOE's moderately slanted cursive has worked really well for my son. He has lovely handwriting. But now it's time to teach my left-handed daughter, and I don't want her to develop the muscle straining/hooking habits I did. I have read that mildly slanted hands are natural and move most smoothly and quickly. Is this also true for lefties if they can handle it or are they always better off with vertical or backward slanted? I would prefer to use the LOE with my daughter as well. Is that foolish to go that route? I don't want to set her up for frustration or bad habits.

We're still in the middle of working on cursive with my lefty (dd9 has learned all the letters and is currently practicing on CCVC words - it's a slow process because she has dyslexic/dysgraphic tendencies), but I taught her a slanted hand (Smith-hand) and she naturally writes it vertically.  She seems to write fairly smoothly and with fairly good form - it hasn't been a problem.   Which is to say, in my limited experience, writing a slanted hand vertically with my lefty occurred naturally and was never a problem, so I'd think going with the program you like and have ought to work fine - I just wouldn't push the slant if it causes problems.  (One thing I did was to practice writing with my left hand, so that I had firsthand experience of how to position the paper and my hand, and what problems tend to crop up.)

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1

Some slanted hands can be converted to vertical and some cannot. Rounder hands convert easier.

I am totally OCD. This is good and bad. It is good that I notice details, so can predict problems before even trying something. But bad, that I struggle to just do things good enough and move on.

Spalding is a round hand, and Romalda allowed a student to find their own slant after making them hold the paper as she insisted.