Menu

Online course or other resource for music composition?

I have a son (16yo) who would like to learn more about classical music composition.  He has been playing piano and violin for several years and has a good handle on music theory.  He is not headed towards a career in music; this is a side interest of his (though with this son, his side interests are usually near-obsessions).  Do you have any recommendations for him?

(I did find an old thread that had some good ideas; we will probably purchase Finale soon.)

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/368403-music-composition-suggestions-please/?hl=%26quot%3Bmusical+composition%26quot%3B&do=findComment&comment=3806172

Thanks in advance!

Yes to Finale! 

We know a family who hired a tutor to help her dd write a symphony. Is that an option? Maybe ask around at local colleges? If you can not afford to pay a professor, maybe you can afford a student there. Just thinking out loud.

I'm so glad you're looking into this for your ds, even though he has no desire to pursue music professionally. We have spent/spend much time and money on music for our dc. My dd will be a music teacher. My ds will not, yet we still support his desire to play in orchestras and take private lessons. I consider it time and money well spent. 

• Like 1