Menu

Logic

We are despising The Fallacy Detective! Ugh. We have Art of Argument to follow, but if it's like FD shoot me. We need other options for 9th. Critical thinking, perhaps Analogies a viable option?

Traditional Logic I put out by Memoria Press.  It teaches you to construct syllogisms properly, rather than try to find dozens of fallacies.   This is more efficient.

Edited by Colleen in NS
  • Like 2

My son did Critical Thinking Co's "Critical Thinking" (NOT building thinking) in about 7th grade with his book club.  In my opinion, all of logic has the same stuff -- I've looked at or used parts of those you mentioned and Memoria's.  Though I admit that Logic courses drive me batty and so I'm looking at them from that POV.

CTC is more dry than Fallacy, IMO, though it does have some fairy tale and other lighter examples.    All Logic seems more fun with a group or with some crazy TV-ads from real life to liven it up.  You'll probably want the teacher book as well, for when you get stuck.  You might want to add the second book to make a semester credit, since it wasn't too hard for 7th graders (although I haven't tried book 2 - probably have it around here).

By the way, my son is taking Logic in college this semester and says it makes sense to him with mainly just the CTC book on board (and his book club's discussion).

Julie

My son did Critical Thinking Co's "Critical Thinking" (NOT building thinking) in about 7th grade with his book club.  In my opinion, all of logic has the same stuff -- I've looked at or used parts of those you mentioned and Memoria's.  Though I admit that Logic courses drive me batty and so I'm looking at them from that POV.

CTC is more dry than Fallacy, IMO, though it does have some fairy tale and other lighter examples.    All Logic seems more fun with a group or with some crazy TV-ads from real life to liven it up.  You'll probably want the teacher book as well, for when you get stuck.  You might want to add the second book to make a semester credit, since it wasn't too hard for 7th graders (although I haven't tried book 2 - probably have it around here).

By the way, my son is taking Logic in college this semester and says it makes sense to him with mainly just the CTC book on board (and his book club's discussion).

Julie

More dry? LOL.  Didn't know that was possible.  I know Fallacy Detective tries to make it fun, but there's something about it that drives us both absolutely nuts.  The stupidity of it? They're trying too hard? I don't know. It's an aggravation.    Maybe the question is, is there a point to it?  It seems not useful for this grade level. I could see a point for it in 12th maybe, but at 9th, then to be unused and forgotten...

Maybe the question is, is there a point to it?  It seems not useful for this grade level. I could see a point for it in 12th maybe, but at 9th, then to be unused and forgotten...

I think there are various "points to it" for various folks.  For me...

• In 7th grade [or 8th, I'm now thinking it was 8th] our boys were starting to listen to the outside world more than mom & pop.  We live in a very urban area with loads of advertising everywhere, so even if you don't watch TV, you are being sold a bill of goods when you walk down the street LOL.  I liked bolstering my son's awareness of fallacies, propoganda, illogical salesmanship.  I'd think about the same in 9th grade.
  • In 12th grade, which you mentioned, the goal might be more analysis of political ads for an upcoming new voter or something like that.
  • As a college freshman, my son took Logic because he thought it would help with computer programming skills.

All are valid reasons to study Logic.  That said, I still don't like some of what is taught (especially the idea that I personally summarize as "false + false = true."  I get the premise, but I don't think that's the only way, or the best way, to look at things, but we chatted about that :) ).  I have my personal rant; your issues might be different.  But rants aside, you need to have a goal with the class or else I'd drop it and spend the time elsewhere.  I personally think homeschoolers load on too many classes in 9th grade -- six credits is usual in our local schools.  Fallacy Detective/Thinking Toolbox doesn't weigh the student down too much, but if she doesn't like it, it might.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN
  • Like 2

I think there are various "points to it" for various folks.  For me...

• In 7th grade our boys were starting to listen to the outside world more than mom & pop.  We live in a very urban area with loads of advertising everywhere, so even if you don't watch TV, you are being sold a bill of goods when you walk down the street LOL.  I liked bolstering my son's awareness of fallacies, propoganda, illogical salesmanship.  I'd think about the same in 9th grade.
  • skills.

All are valid reasons to study Logic.  That said, I still don't like some of what is taught (especially the idea that I personally summarize as "false + false = true."  I get the premise, but I don't think that's the only way, or the best way, to look at things, but we chatted about that :) ).  I have my personal rant; your issues might be different. 

Julie

We seem to be on the same page here with the like vs dislike.  Fallacy Detective seems to just blow through and confuse, then make fun of a no answer rather than to teach.  Maybe that's their idea of fun, but I would hope there is something out there for understanding the very basic fallacy/propaganda/illogical sales, rather than loading them with so many types where the answer could go every which way then think it's funny that it's something completely different.  I'm not finding it useful, only confusing and foolish.  Some I didn't even agree with.

Edited by MrsMe