Menu

robot building toys for 11 year old

ProudGrandma

My 11 year old son has requested a robot building toy for Christmas.  The ones I have seen that have the best reviews are very expensive...and we can't afford them.  Can someone give me a good review of such a toy that costs closer to the $40 range that isn't too little kiddy for an 11 year old who likes to build.  

He has a bunch of erector sets, knex and legos...so he would like to branch out some and get something a bit different. 

The solar powered ones seem to get poor reviews and living in Nebraska in the middle of winter, our solar power is limited...so I think those will be a bust.  BUT, if you have a different opinion on those, let me know...because he has been looking at those too...but I am just afraid they won't work well and he will get frustrated. 

this is one I am considering, but I don't know enough about the product...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017OFRCY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_7&smid=A2Y7JET69Q6TGZ

any suggestions would be great.

thanks.