Menu

Those that used HWT

Jzsnow

For a child who is learning capital letters, I would also strongly recommend the slate. It really helped my DC keep the letter inside the box, in proper proportions, without reversals. We used it wet and dry (with fingers and wet wads of paper towel), before actually writing the letter on it with chalk. The slate costs only a couple dollars (if that). Also, the wood pieces and mat were great for my DS who had fine motor issues. He was able to form the letters with the pieces well before he could write them. So, I guess it depends on your situation. :)

I only purchased my workbooks, the teacher's guide, and (5th grade)writing paper for dd from HWT.

I bought a small chalkboard from the WalMart craft department for a few dollars and sprayed it with chalkboard paint. The chalkboard is extremely helpful and I highly recommend it. I made my own letter pieces out of craft foam to teach my daughter. Last year my DH made some beautiful letter pieces out of real wood for ds, so this is what I am using now. I have also used a small magna-doodle (about the size of the small chalkboard) just because the kids happened to own one. You can purchase these pretty much anywhere, but they aren't necessary.

The Slate is essential. Children use the frame of the slate to keep the chalk against to learn how to make straight lines. The reason for chalk is to use little pieces instead of a full size marker to learn proper pencil grip and the chalk add tension making it easier to control. A marker slides and doesn't provide any resistance for the child. The letter cards and wood pieces are also needed. You can make your own wood pieces out of foam board if you wish. But you do need to get the letter cards. If you just get the workbooks you are not going to get the real benefit of the program.

The other manipulative's are really great to have (including the CD). I have them all and my kids LOVE them.

One note-The flip crayons break where the two colors join. I have been very disappointed with the quality. Instead of the flip crayons, just buy regular crayons, break them in half and sharpen the tip.