Menu

Looking for examples from Spelling Workout D...

Julpost

But I know how you feel hesitating to buy books or curriculum sight unseen and worrying about getting the right fit.

I should mention that I have the SWO D 1994 edition; I don't know how much has changed with the more recent editions. Lesson One deals with consonant sounds and has 20 list words. Among them are banner, seven, hammer, twelve, dollar, silent, pineapple and traffic. Keep in mind that the list words are meant to illustrate the larger phonics/spelling rule concept in the "Pep Talk," so I wouldn't skip over all subsequent books before D. DS is a natural speller, too, and worked through most of Book D his 2nd grade year, but I didn't allow skipping. I just let him complete each book at his own pace.

Lesson Thirty-Five (before the final review chapter) deals with homonyms and includes the following list words: peace, piece, there, their, sense, scents, whose, who's, hair, and hare.

Hope this helps. And I hope I don't get visited by the copyright patrol.

May I just say that we bogged down in level D last year when dd was in second grade and quit it halfway through. My dd is also a natural speller. I think what did her in was that the spelling lists were in cursive only. She is learning to write cursive, but reading it to distinguish spelling was difficult for her. Also some of the puzzle type activities were a little hard for her and it was frustrating for me that the spelling itself wasn't hard, but the activity to reinforce it would be difficult and/or time consuming. Like unscrambling a bunch of letters to form one of the words from the list. If your child isn't really into this type of puzzle, it's a frustrating way to learn spelling. We are now using Rod & Staff and I much prefer it's straightforward approach. And it's cheaper. And at least in the 3rd grade book, the list is in both print and cursive.