Menu

Where do I start?

hsing1

How do I go about getting my ds tested? I'm sure he's add/adhd as well as fine motor challenged.

I'm think I should get him tested but have no idea how to go about doing so. I don't want to go through the school system if I can avoid it. So where do I start?

Thanks,

If you want insurance to cover it, don't mention that it makes school harder. Talk about how his fine motor issues and ADD issues affect life outside of school work.

Thanks for the insights. But I'm not sure how to not mention that these things are affecting school. They affect every area of his life including school. For example, his fine motor issues are causing him to not be able to do many of the school work for 2nd grade. I'm also pretty sure they also affected his test scores this year. (The proctor mentioned he's a smart boy but had A LOT of trouble filling in the bubbles.)

We have tried to adjust and accomodate our life as much as possible. School is where it is most challenging because of the state standards, etc.

How old is he? Does he have trouble with things other than writing? Tying shoes? Buttoning clothes? Cutting? Crafts? Sports? Spilling things? etc. Those are things that you can describe to your pediatrician.

I would ask for both an OT referral and a referral to a developmental pediatrician, or if you can pay out of pocket, to a neuropsychologist. The latter two will make the overall diagnosis (such as ADHD), but the occupational therapist will diagnose and treat the fine motor issues. It's likely that your son also has sensory processing issues. Read the book "The Out of Sync Child" for a good checklist. OT's also treat that. Since the OT will actually be the one providing the treatment, push to get that referral even before the diagnostic one.

Just don't talk only about the school stuff. There will have to be enough issues outside of school work for the insurance to cover it. Don't stress about it too much, just come up with a few example outside of school.

Thanks for clarifying this for me. It makes sense now.

How old is he? Does he have trouble with things other than writing? Tying shoes? Buttoning clothes? Cutting? Crafts? Sports? Spilling things? etc. Those are things that you can describe to your pediatrician.

I would ask for both an OT referral and a referral to a developmental pediatrician, or if you can pay out of pocket, to a neuropsychologist. The latter two will make the overall diagnosis (such as ADHD), but the occupational therapist will diagnose and treat the fine motor issues. It's likely that your son also has sensory processing issues. Read the book "The Out of Sync Child" for a good checklist. OT's also treat that. Since the OT will actually be the one providing the treatment, push to get that referral even before the diagnostic one.

He is 7 1/2. Writing is his main issue...reversals (both vertical and horizontal, mixing upper and lower case, trouble with size and spacing, etc.). He also doesn't tie his shoes or color inside the lines, drawing look like they are done by a much younger child. We go to see his pediatrician in 2 weeks. I'll ask about the referrals you mentioned then. Thanks!

Thanks for the book recommendation. I will check it out.