Menu

CKE Earth and Space only 24 weeks??? What would you do?

kalusignan

Last year I did Elemental Science Biology with my 1st grade dd. While I wasn't completely unsatisfied with Elemental Science, I decided to try Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space for 2nd grade.

So here I am planning out my homeschool year only to realize that CKE E&S only contains 24 weeks of material! That leaves me with 12 weeks of empty space for science.

What would you do? I'm considering a couple different options, but thought I would check here to see if there's something I haven't thought of.

Since you are doing this for 2nd grade I would be inclined to not worry so much about it. This age is for introduction and making it fun so they are ready for serious learning when they get older. But I do have  ideas. Between each unit read a related fiction or two. (You'll be reading the non-fict during the units.)

For instance 

Unit 2 is about the inside of the earth. Read an abridged version of Journey to the Center of the Earth

Unit 3 Hydrosphere- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Unit 4 Atmosphere-  Twenty-one Balloons or 

Unit 5 Weather - Wizard of Oz (we have  fiction accts of Hurricane Katrina and a historical hurricane that wiped out Grand Isle long ago) 

Unit 6 Space - A Wrinkle in Time

Watch the above in movies

You could have field trip days 

cave

water plant

planetarium

Do the supplemental activities in the appendix 

Do extra fun hands on activities (pinterest has great ideas if you search for CKE Earth and Space).

• Like 3

I'm teetering between being okay with finishing early, adding a lot of field trips and living books, or adding in additional hands-on with a couple Engineering is Elementary units. Or maybe all three!

I thought some others might know some additional resources that would be fun. :) Thanks for your input!