Menu

Flying via LAX

I am unexpectantly making a trip back to VT as my mother is ill. I haven't flown since January 06 & am wanting to find out what's changed (security, etc.) since then. I will be taking my 10yos with me, but my dd & ds#1 will stay in NZ with dh. Does anyone know...

---if you can recheck your bags just after passing through customs in LAX or do I need to plan to carry the bags to my new terminal & recheck them in there?

---What is the current luggage allowance & allowed carry-on bags on domestic flights (United & US Air) ?

---Are baggage carts free in LAX or IAD? If not, what do they cost to rent?

---Do you just have to pass through security once upon entering the terminal or are there multiple security check within the terminals? (i.e. How many times do I need to plan to take off my shoes for security?)

---Are beverages still free on domestic flights (United & US Air)?

---Any other tips regarding flying?

I have traveled extensively in the past, but not since a lot of these security measures have been put in place. I am looking forward to not having to pack diapers, strollers, carseats, etc. as this will be the first time I travel w/o a young child in over 16 years.

TIA,

Deb,

I hope the travels go well and your mom gets better. I connected through LAX a month ago on the way back to Hawaii. Let me see if I can give a halfway competent answer.

---if you can recheck your bags just after passing through customs in LAX or do I need to plan to carry the bags to my new terminal & recheck them in there?

Not LAX specific, however, when we flew into JFK or La Guardia from overseas, we would process through immigration, then collect our bags, then clear customs. Then there would be a place to check our bags back in. I would imagine that there is something similar entering through LAX, because your connecting domestic flight wouldn't have a customs check when it arrived in VT.

The NY method was to check the bags as soon as we cleared customs, but before we changed terminals. I'm not sure if this is the case everywhere.

---What is the current luggage allowance & allowed carry-on bags on domestic flights (United & US Air) ?

It looks like the luggage fees depend on if it is one itinerary from NZ to VT or multiple. United allows two free bags if one of the cities is outside the US or Canada. US Air allows two free bags for passengers traveling to & from Asia or Europe. It looks like both airlines consider bags over 50lbs/23 kg to be overweight. If they are code sharing, you're probably fine. However, if you bought each leg as a separate ticket, they might consider the LAX to VT as a domestic flight (which would have fees for each bag). For carry on, both allow one per passenger plus a purse, computer or small tote.

Remember the 3-1 rule for carry on of liquids. 3 oz or smaller and only what will fit into 1 quart zipper bag. I was amazed how many people were trying to get through security with big bottles of shaving cream and shampoo. Also, the metal detector screener will ask for a boarding pass, so don't leave it in your purse when you put it through the xray.

It looks like US Air may be charging for beverages. $2 for water and soft drinks (which is about the same per oz as a big bottle from a vendor within the security area of the terminal). United doesn't seem to be charging yet.

One tip is that ipod headphones will work with the seat entertainment systems. And that you can often find charging stations around LAX for phones and things like ipods and handheld games. There were several in the international terminal. I'm guessing they are in the domestic side too.

Sorry I couldn't help with the other questions.

The baggage carts are definitely not free! I think they are $3 and I'm pretty sure that you can swipe a credit card.

Now I'm kind of guessing here based on my knowledge of the airport: You should only have to go through security once. When you get off your plane from NZ, you will go through immigration, then get your bags, then go through customs, then leave the terminal. You won't go through security until you go to the new terminal for your next flight. I guess you would probably rent a cart, pick up your luggage at baggage claim in the international terminal, and then take that to the next terminal and check it. But since LAX is my home airport, I've never done a transfer there from an international flight so I'm not totally sure.

The only other tip I have is this: if you haven't already, try to book your seats nearest the plane's exit. Then you will be first in line through immigration. We did it this way and got through in 5 minutes. My in-laws went to Canada recently and on their return had to spend over 2 hours in line.

I'm not sure about your other questions as I haven't flown United or US Air recently...but you should be able to find baggage allowances, etc. on their websites easily.

So sorry about the reason for your trip. I hope everything goes smoothly.

The reality of traveling in less than 3 weeks is beginning to hit home. Usually I plan & book the trip months in advance. This time I need to organize HS & activities for my dd & ds#1 as well as pack, plan 1 month of lessons for ds#2, & get xmas presents for family in the States. At least I won't have the usual November rush on Christmas. Maybe this year I can get cards out before Easter.

Some more ?s...

---Can you bring food onto domestic flights? I was thinking of bringing a packed lunch on the US Air flight PHL-LAX.

---Does contact solution count as medicine? My smallest contact solution bottle is 120ml (3oz = 100ml).

TIA,

I'm happy to hear that I may be able to recheck our bags directly after leaving customs. I have had to transport our bags between terminals before (JFK) & it wasn't fun! I'm aiming to pack a lot lighter as I'm only staying 30 days, rather than the 6 months I usually stay. I checked with my eye drs today regarding mini bottles of contact solution & they gave me 2 sample packs that contained 60ml bottles. Now if I could only find sample size toothpaste here...

Blessings,

Can you bring food onto domestic flights? I was thinking of bringing a packed lunch on the US Air flight PHL-LAX.

You can only bring pre-packaged food (think chocolate) into the US because of the agricultural rules (they don't want a non-native species/disease to be accidentally introduced in your sandwich.) They actually have had dogs sniffing for food products at JFK.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to buy shampoo, toothpaste, etc here? It's readily available here.

I may just end up making sure it's time to change to a new pair of contacts at the time of my trip. So not need to bother with solution. I looked in my cupboards & found a few sample items (toothpaste, etc.) that will work for the trip. I'm amazed at what will fit in a quart size ziploc bag! I don't want to take a lot, but I do want to be able to at least brush my teeth a few times during the 36 hours of straight traveling. Travel would be so much simpler (& airfares cheaper) if my folks lived on the west coast.

My ds#2 is very excited about Air NZ's on-demand entertainment. I figure that he'll spend the whole 12 hours (AKL-LAX) watching movies & playing games. By the time we get to the flight across the States, ds will be ready to sleep.

Blessings,

Deb in NZ (but in VT for October)