Menu

Anyone have lesson plans or even just chapters selections for Concepts and Connections Biology?

The request for Conceptual Physics plans got such useful responses, I thought I'd try, too!  Does anyone have lesson plans they'd be willing to share for C&C?  We will not be covering the whole book (she does not plan to take AP or SAT2 in bio), and I'm trying to figure out which chapters to prioritize.

I don't have that one, but I recently scored a copy of Essential Biology and I'm really excited to use it next year.  If I were making a plan for Concepts and Connections, I would focus on the following units:

1. The Life of the Cell

2. Cellular Reproduction & Genetics

3. Concepts of Evolution

7. Ecology

I think by covering those 4 units in detail, you are hitting the key concepts and big ideas in biology.  One version of the Big Ideas is articulated in the AP Biology syllabus:

The course is based on four Big Ideas, which encompass core scientific principles, theories, and processes that cut across traditional boundaries and provide a broad way of thinking about living organisms and biological systems. The following are Big Ideas: • The process of evolution explains the diversity and unity of life. • Biological systems utilize free energy and molecular building blocks to grow, to reproduce, and to maintain dynamic homeostasis. • Living systems store, retrieve, transmit, and respond to information essential to life processes. • Biological systems interact, and these systems and their interactions possess complex properties.

• Like 2