Menu

Can you use Duolingo before they can write/spell?

rzberrymom

Can a kid use Duolingo before being able to write/spell?

DH speaks only German with my almost 6-year old, her comprehension is good, but she very rarely speaks back in German. I downloaded the Duolingo app thinking that she could use some extra practice. We did the assessment and she did fine with the translating, but then I realized that the only way she can show her ability to create a sentence in German is to write it out.

So, she composed the sentences and I typed them out for her, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if the program is checking her ability to spell or just to form the sentence? Of course, it's a waste of time at this age if it's about her spelling (since it's testing my spelling), but is it possible to use it to just help her along with forming the thoughts in German?

DH is overworked and travels a lot, so I'm trying to find a way to help her with this. If Duolingo isn't the best for a young kid who can't spell yet, any other ideas?

DuoLingo is about both expression and spelling. I tried it with my daughter before she could write the answers herself, but it just didn't work well. We went back to it when she could spell at about a third grade level and she does well with it now.

No suggestions for German. We struggled finding resources for Spanish and French.

DuoLingo is about both expression and spelling. I tried it with my daughter before she could write the answers herself, but it just didn't work well. We went back to it when she could spell at about a third grade level and she does well with it now.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I'll try it again in a few years--thanks!