Menu

Math mammoth 6 vs chalkdust basic math

mom2vikha

Hi Ladies,

I am in a confusion. My 3rd grader finished Math mammoth 5 and BA academy 4a-4c. Working on 4D and I assume She will be done in a. Month.

I highly value your opinion. Should I continue with MM6 or start her with Chalkdust basic math 6 or start pre algebra. She is like a sponge and a very quick study. We also do zacarro, Cwp and Olympiad books.

I am lost for next year. Or do you all suggest something else? I don't want to do Aops with her very early. Should I do Arbor math books with MM6?

We do this after school. We do 45 mins math everyday.

Thank you so much in advance for helping

I can't compare them because we never used Chalkdust.

I'm very happy that I completed the entire MM Light Blue books. If MM7 had been a finished product when we were using it, I probably would have done MM1-7, but we used MM1a-6b and the foundation that it laid for my guys was rock solid. I'm very happy with MM as an arithmetic program and highly recommend finishing the sequence to the end if you can.

You might want to search the archives on the K-8 board for feedback on Chalkdust. I seem to remember it being considered a solid/good program. Since it seems to be working I encourage you to complete MM6AB before you change and not just because I"m Type A and like to finish things, MM is genuinely a really good program.

After MM6B, kids are ready to begin Algebra. You don't have to begin full on algebra at that point, but you can. During MM1-6 we used a few supplements and introductory Algebra type stuff (Home made games, Algebra Readiness Made Easy, The complete set of Keys to..., and we used some units from the MM Gold and MM Green series and a few other random things as well.)

After MM6b we did a run through of Algebra 1 using a generic text and it went swimmingly. There were very few sticking spots. It sounds like you are doing something similar with your DD, so I just want you to know that Algebra 1 is probably a very feasible option for you in your situation. Personally, I don't want to do the typical US School path of Algebra 1 --> Geometry --> Algebra 2 ---> PreCalc/Trig --->Calculus especially since my boys are much younger. I'm strongly in favor of integrated math up to the 12th grade level. Until they are older and there is a real need to specialize on just one thing, I want to stick as close to integrated mathematics as possible so instead of going into a course of Algebra study, I chose to spend the year on an assortment of random math.

So, after we finished MM, we went back and tried to do elementary math enrichment and a lot of logic. A lot of times the level was awkward because mostly the work was really simple, and other times the topics themselves were just interesting. They boys got to use what they know in more ways, but  I can't say that they learned a terrible amount from all of the books. We used a combo of Unified Modern Mathematics and  Mathematics a Human Endeavor by Jacobs as our main math but we had short sessions with a bunch of other things and we were able to finish the 1st-4th grade level stuff almost in one sitting. Some of the 5th-8th grade stuff took a few sittings, but most of it was just interesting enough to fill 10-60 minutes here or there.

We did a lot of Living Math Books because the boys love to read but few of those elementary level books held new information or skills or challenge. After MM6, they were genuinely ready for upper level math and I think that UMM + M:aHE was the best combination for us at this time because I wanted to diversify their math study instead of just doing Algebra. UMM especially has been a really neat little fit since it includes a lot of off the novelty math topics and the writing style of the text is novel in a charming sort of way.

UMM Grades 07-09 are online with the Teachers Commentary for free at the link above.

UMM Grades 10-12 are not online and are proving much harder to find, but there are some hard copies out there in the world for the doggedly determined to hunt down.

The boys do a lot of free reading from a bunch of Algebra - Calculus supplementary books that I have at home. It will be interesting to see how they fare when we start a formal/purposeful study of "Highschool math"

Unless you are as adverse to doing a year of Algebra only as I am, then I see no reason to not at least give it a try and see how it goes. I think that a good Introductory Algebra book is more than approachable after MM6.