Menu

Level of Derek Owens Physics/Precalculus

For those of you who are familiar with Derek Owens math and physics classes, I was wondering how they compare on the rigor of teaching. (My impression is that they are good.)

I'm looking at them for a boy that will have completed all the Introduction series of Art of Problem Solving. Needing to make some decisions about where to go with precalculus. He would probably move on to an AP calculus after this.

I know the physics is not AP level, but it sounds like a reasonable choice for an introductory physics course.

We used Derek Owens for 9th grade physics.  You may read my review here

I can't really compare it to any other physics class.  I will say that ds was a bright but unmotivated student.  He was also a strong math student.  DO's physics class was challenging.  He wound up with a B in the honors class.  Had there been another option for 9th grade science, it probably would have been better to wait at least a year.

We once had a discussion on these forums and another mom said that she though DO's physics class was too easy.  But, her ds was a super genius and read physics texts for fun.  I get the impression that AoPS students are super geniuses, so ymmv.

I would be happy to share a sample of the homework, labs, tests with you.  Just send me a PM with your email address.

• Like 1

I pretty much agree with Sue.

My dd took DO physics as a 9th grade physics class. She had already completed Algebra and was taking geometry. She is a bright but somewhat unmotivated (dyslexic) student. The course was quite challenging (I think she finished with a 89). I would say it was what I would expect for a typical senior (non-calc, non AP) physics course. It is the same intro (9th and 10th grade)  physics course that DO taught at the private Westminster School in Atlanta for students who were quite advanced and likely looking for elite college admissions. It is not a 9th grade "conceptual" physics course. It is math heavy, so good for a student who enjoys math. My DD, too, would likely have found it easier had she been a bit older.

So overall I would say it is a good, rigorous choice for non AP physics for a mature and motivated student.

• Like 1