Menu

Question for Writing with Skill users

Let's say I want Writing with Skill (WWS) in the WWE Strong Fundamentals format, which I know does not exist. I kind of just want to read and understand what it's all about and integrate it, but not do lessons on it everyday. First question, is that even possible? I don't mean to get through all the information in a year without actually doing it; I mean that I want, as a teacher, to understand what the program is about and utilize it in occasional assignments. We already use and are pretty comfortable with IEW. This leads to my second question - could I purchase just the WWS Teacher's manual and kind of get an idea of what the program is about, or would I be lost? I'd like a little more info than what is in WTM and I don't love audio...just in case anyone was going to recommend audio lectures. ;)

We used WWS level 1 last year and are moving to level 2 this year. I love the program. 

Yes, I do think you could get a good overview of the whole program from the TM. Although not all the info. will be in there it does give a good summary  and copies of pages or restated text that you would find in the student book. There is usually an overview of the direct instructions given to the students and ways to help if they need assistance. Most resources that are used in the student text are at least listed in TM.

Do you mean to use the methods but find your own sources across the curriculum? Or to just pick and choose lessons to do but explain them your own way?

Keeping in mind we are midway through WWS3 and I don't have all of the books in front of me right now-- also that this is JMO. I think it would be hard to figure out without both student and teacher manuals, but you might be able to use the teacher manual to figure out the method. Actually, I think that to get a very broad overview of the whole program, I would want the appendix with all the topoi from WWS3. Then I would want the teacher *and* student manuals for level 2. Level 2, generally, is when students are taught how to research, take notes, and further organize their writing. Then understand that WWS1 will be building up to that level and be simplified, with the student at first being given lists of facts to choose from instead of a text to take notes from themselves, and level 3 being a more advanced version where students put things together, learn some new things, and write a lot more about topics of their own choosing.

I think that using the actual lessons without owning the student manual would be a frustrating prospect for me, maybe even impossible, mostly because many of the directions to the student are included in the teacher manual, but most of the source texts are not.

• Like 1