Menu

SAT essay questions driving my very literal STEM kid crazy

We've started preparing for SAT essays using the brilliant method shared by 8Fill and Lori D.  My 10th grade DS is having the toughest time with these essay prompts.  They are all just too vague for him.  He can handle writing essays about historical facts, but these questions involving "finding true happiness" or "what is real success" are driving him batty!  A few times there was a prompt that he was able to just go ahead and start writing about.  But often he can't think of any response at all, and then we just end up discussing and discussing the entire prompt, with me trying to explain it to him, and him just not getting it.  He is a very smart, very literal-minded kid, who has great difficulty with these "soft" topics.  Any ideas of how I can help him?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Have you considered waiting for the dreaded new SAT? The new essay format wants a rhetorical analysis, no personal opinions welcome at all.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sample-questions/essay

We've started preparing for SAT essays using the brilliant method shared by 8Fill and Lori D. My 10th grade DS is having the toughest time with these essay prompts. They are all just too vague for him. He can handle writing essays about historical facts, but these questions involving "finding true happiness" or "what is real success" are driving him batty! A few times there was a prompt that he was able to just go ahead and start writing about. But often he can't think of any response at all, and then we just end up discussing and discussing the entire prompt, with me trying to explain it to him, and him just not getting it. He is a very smart, very literal-minded kid, who has great difficulty with these "soft" topics. Any ideas of how I can help him?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Have you considered waiting for the dreaded new SAT? The new essay format wants a rhetorical analysis, no personal opinions welcome at all.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sample-questions/essay

OK, I want a slapping-the-forehead emoticon.  I had no idea that they were restructuring the essay as well!  Thank you!  I am sure this will still be challenging for DS, but overall WAY easier.  :hurray: