Menu

I need an SAT/ACT tutorial ;-)

Back when I was in school, I took only the SAT and at the time, the prevailing thought was you keep taking and improve your scores and colleges take the best of each section. So my highest Math and English were used.

Today I see some things that confuse me and I was needing help with clarification.

Do schools not do this any more? We are looking at the SUS of Florida, so all state schools. My daughter wants to take the tests. (She took ACT in 7th). How early can she take it before the scores will "count"? Does taking it in 10th help any or is that best avoided.

If it helps, UF lists scores by section but it can't mix old and new tests but will accept highest sub scores if taken multiple times. Not sure exactly what they mean--old version and the new updated version? They say they cannot do this with ACT sub scores. (Why?)

Any reason to NOT take either test in 10th aside from the change over?

She is going to take the PSAT as long as I remember to contact the school at the appropriate time. Is that still considered good practice to take it in 10th?

How early can she take it before the scores will "count"? Does taking it in 10th help any or is that best avoided.

Depends on the school - I'd check with the ones your student may be interested in.  Our local university wants the ACT or SAT test taken no earlier than 3 years before you plan to enroll. So, 10th grade is ok but 9th is too early.

… I took only the SAT…  and colleges take the best of each section. So my highest Math and English were used...

… Do schools not do this any more? We are looking at the SUS of Florida, so all state schools...

...If it helps, UF lists scores by section but it can't mix old and new tests but will accept highest sub scores if taken multiple times...

...Not sure exactly what they mean--old version and the new updated version?

...They say they cannot do this with ACT sub scores. (Why?)

Yes, some colleges still do "super scoring" of the SAT, and some do not. More schools will super score the SAT; fewer will super score the ACT. Here are lists of which schools super score the  ACT and the SAT.

Super scoring the SAT means that a student sends multiple test scores and colleges consider the highest section score from all the dates -- so the college looks at all the Math section scores and take the highest; then look at all the Critical Reading scores and take the highest; and then look at the highest Writing score from all the SAT tests. The college then adds up those 3 highest scores to form a total composite score from the raw scores for each section. (And, just in case it is of help, here's how the SAT is scored.)

Super scoring for the ACT is slightly different, because how the ACT is scored is slightly different. First, how ACT scores the tests: Each section is given a *scaled* score between 1-36 (so, each section is NOT a raw score). These scaled section scores are then averaged by ACT into a composite score, which also ranges between 1-36. So if a college super scores the ACT, it takes the highest scaled score for each section (Math, Science, Reading, English) from all the tests the student submits, and then *averages* those scaled section scores together to create a highest composite score possible. (And, just in case it is of help, here's a chart of ACT raw scores and how they are scaled).

I don't know why University of Florida (and most other colleges) do not super score ACT section scores, but I would *guess* that it may be because colleges feel the ACT section scores are too integral to the composite overall ACT score, and don't "stand alone" as well as the section scores on the SAT -- which are based on raw scores rather than scaled scores… Just a guess, though. ;)

BTW: the SAT also allows "super choice", which allows students to SEND just one part of a test (just the score for Math or Reading or Writing). Because the ACT is a composite score (the sections are combined and yield one final overall score), this does not allow for "super choice" with the ACT.

…How early can she take it before the scores will "count"?

Depends on the college. Some colleges only take ACT/SAT scores from 11th and 12th grades. Check the freshman admission policies for each college your student is interested in to see how early of an ACT/SAT score they will accept. 

…Does taking it in 10th help any or is that best avoided… Any reason to NOT take either test in 10th aside from the change over?

The SAT is being completely overhauled and the new test will be rolled out in spring 2016.

Because the SAT will be completely changed, there is no way for colleges to compare the current (old) test with the updated (new in 2016) test, so super-scoring can only happen when "old" (pre 2016) test scores are compared with other old test scores. OR, when "new" (spring 2016 and beyond) test scores are compared with other new test scores.

The PAST, which is designed to prep younger students for the SAT, is also being overhauled to match up with the new SAT, and this year (Oct. 2015) will be the first time the new PSAT will be used.

Because your DD can take the new PSAT this Oct. as a 10th grader as prep for the new SAT, I would wait on taking the SAT until Mar. 2016 when the new SAT rolls out, so that DD's practice on the PSAT really will be of best help and practice for the SAT.

The ACT has no plans to revise their test at present, so students can take the test at any time, and as many times, as they like. So no compelling reasons why to take / not take the ACT in 10th grade; totally up to your family's needs and goals. :)

She is going to take the PSAT as long as I remember to contact the school at the appropriate time. Is that still considered good practice to take it in 10th?

Yes, it is still allowed to take the PSAT in 10th grade as practice for 11th. Some students were taking the PSAT for practice/prep in 9th and even in 8th grade. With the revised PSAT coming this October, College Board is also releasing some additional PSAT versions specifically geared for the different grades:

PSAT/NMSQT = taken by 10th and 11th grade students; 11th graders scoring high may qualify for NM scholarships

PSAT 10 = identical in structure/scoring to the PSAT/NMSQT, but offered in the SPRING of 10th grade as practice

PSAT 8/9 = for students in grades 8 or 9, with a slightly different scoring scale

If desired, your 10th grader could take the PSAT/NMSQT as practice this October, and then take the PSAT 10 in spring 2016, and then take the PSAT/NMSQT for real in Oct. 2016.

BEST of luck, and happy testing! ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 3