Menu

Switched on schoolhouse...has anyone used it?

I am thinking ahead to the fall.  I will be increasing my hours at work, giving me 10.5 hour work days (plus commute to and from).  Older 3 kids still want to homeschool.  Teens have a set path to follow for their courses so I am fine with that.  My concern is my ds11, going into grade 6, with his LDs he would not fit will int he local ps, and could not go onto the junior high for 7th anyway because they give no supports for LDs at that point.  I need to have work for him to do independently during the day and then can do the few teacher intensive things in the evening when I am home from work before I start my own homework (should be carrying a full college course load in the fall).  Youngest I am still debating if I am going to put her into the ps for grade 2 or find a way to make it work at home.  At least her actual work should only take an hour or so we can do in the evenings.  

ANyway, onto my actual question.  I was looking at switched on school house yesterday as an option for him.  He has dysgraphia so doing workbooks or lifepacs, CLE etc are out.  BUt SOS is all computer based.  Is it a solid program?  He has other delays so he will be doing a combination of grade 3 and grade 4 level depending on subject.  So I do not need the most rigorous, but they cost a lot of money so I don't want just fluff either.  I don't want him to lose another year not due to his LDs but due to my schedule.  This is the last year My work schedule will be so insane.  At the end of this school year I will be getting a sizeable enough raise that I can cut back to a standard 8 hour work day with no courses for me in the evenings.  SO I want him to still have forward momentum in a way that he can use it. 

Is SOS what I am looking for? Or do you have suggestions of things that may work better for us?  In the evenings and weekends, we will be working specifically with his spelling, penmanship, experiments/projects, etc Things that he needs explicit teaching in, and/or more supervision.  

I don't want to spend $500 on something that I could have accomplished via another route cheaper, so any suggestions would be helpful.